Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShayCox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone! So, I have been reading up on tank cycles and I really need to ask a question about water changes. So when I first got the tank, the fish shop people said that I had to let the water de-chlorinate before I put any fish in. Done! I now have fish and I don't know how to do the water changes. I know you should only do 25-30% water changes, but what I don't understand is.......Can I put normal tap water straight in the tank (with the fish in) and then add the de-chlorinator...Or do I de-chlorinate some water for 24 hours and then add it?
Thanks all
Shanice

the method of letting it sit for 24 hours doesnt really work anymore because most places have more than just chlorine in the water. easiest way to do it with a tank that size is get two five gallon buckets and fill one up with water that is the same temp as your tank water and add the water conditioner to the bucket. then you want to turn off your heater/filter and siphon out in the other bucket to make the two buckets have the same amount. now all you have to do is dump the new water in and turn everything back on.

Hey aquandrew...just another quick question...You said fill up one bucket that is the same temp as the water in my tank...at the moment, the temp is 25 decrees...how would I get normal tap water up to that temp?

Just add some hot water into the bucket to get the water to the same temperature as that of your tank before pouring it in.

i use a digital thermometer and test the tank water temp then get the sink water to that temp and put my siphon under the sink to fill up the bucket. any thermometer will work as long as the water is within 1-2 degrees so your fish wont get shocked from temp change

Depending on the size of your tank you may want to invest in a water changer such as the Python. For my 10g & smaller tanks I do as aquandrew recommended. On another note since your tank is new have you read about fish IN cycling a tank? If you don't have a liquid test kit such as the API Master freshwater kit I'd suggest getting one so you can test daily & do appropriate water changes.

You can either add the dechlorinator to the buckets for the amount in the bucket and then refill OR you can add dechlorinator straight to the tank for the amount of the whole volume of the tank (not just the water you are replacing) and then refill. What dechlorinator are you using? Most work instantly so there's no need to wait.

Also how new is this tank? Most fish stores will tell you to let the tank run empty before adding fish but unfortunately that doesn't do anything to cycle it. So you may be doing a fish-in cycle, in which case you should be testing the water daily for toxins because you may need to be doing more frequent water changes. These guides should help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Tank Cycling

Hi Everyone! So, I have been reading up on tank cycles and I really need to ask a question about water changes. So when I first got the tank, the fish shop people said that I had to let the water de-chlorinate before I put any fish in. Done! I now have fish and I don't know how to do the water changes. I know you should only do 25-30% water changes, but what I don't understand is.......Can I put normal tap water straight in the tank (with the fish in) and then add the de-chlorinator...Or do I de-chlorinate some water for 24 hours and then add it?
Thanks all
Shanice

Hello Shay...

Water keeping isn't exactly the same for all tanks. So, you'll get a number of answers that may not be the same. You do need to put in a chemical that removes chlorine and chloramine, these are toxic to aquarium fish. They're chemicals the city people put into the tap water to make it safe for you to drink.

You should have the tank set up with a filter, heater, lights, gravel and some live plants like Anacharis and Pennywort. Plants help keep the tank water clean and make the fish feel comfortable.

You need a water testing kit too. Read the instructions for testing for ammonia and nitrite. If your test shows a trace of the either of these, you'll need to remove and replace about a quarter or so of the tank water to keep it safe for your fish. Test daily and do the water change if needed. When several daily tests show no more traces of the above toxins, your tank is cycled. Then, you can back off on the water changes to half the tank volume every couple of weeks or so.

Hopefully, this is enough information to get you started.

B

Back
Top Bottom