Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dose with the Prime during and after changing the water. As long as it is added soon after the water has been added to the tank, it's not a problem.

Why are you dosing with baking soda?

it adjusts the hardness of the water, i have a water softener on my house so yeah...

just to clarify i dont do this yet, i dont have my tank set up yet. i was just wondering how that would work into a water change.

I am not sure you have to try and compensate for your home water softener, at least as far as fish are concerned. Plants a different story?

If you don't want to do 50% pwcs weekly I'd rethink the Gourmais. They are real sticklers about water changes.

You'll need really good water quality to keep them. On the bright side they aren't as picky about pH, KH,GH.

mkay thanks, i already have the gouramis though, there only small

what is the actual reason to do a water change apart from nitrates?

Besides nitrates, there are micronutrients in the water that get used up. I dunno, things like phosphate and other trace elements, that tank orgainisms need. Also, Other products of waste will accumulate, loosely described as dissolved organic compounds. Without water changes, buffers can get used up and cause a decline in pH. Our tanks are way more crowded than what the fish experience in nature, so that one could imagine how "stale" the water must seem to them.

The end result is that many have tried to make an aquarium a miniature self contained ecosystem with little or no maintenance and intervention, and have failed. Nutrients are always being imported into the tank, and not all nutrient decay will end up as nitrate. Just replacing evaporative loss is not a viable long term plan.

But, to say with certainty that X percent water change is inadequate is more a judgement than science, and will not be a correct statement in all situations. The combined and accumulated experience of AA users, acedotal as it is, strongly indicates that more water changes is always better, provided parameters do not fluctuate significantly because of them. Since Nitrate is a major waste product that accumulates relatively fast and is easily tested for, it is the primary way of assessing water change adequacy among aquarists.

quitters said:
Thanks a lot guys, im just looking for a way to only do 25% a week not 50 coz im lazy, i dont actually have the fish yet, still cycling maybe ill look into those nitrate pads?

fish i want are:

10 Gold tetras
5 Guppies
2 Coral Blue Dwarf Gouramis
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Red shark
1 Catfish name unknown, lots of wiskers, silver-grey with black spots (any1)?

Im going to replace the pleco when it gets to big with a smaller one.

there all pretty low-bio load fish arent they? except the pleco?

i probably wouldnt put the red shark in the tank ...... they are semi aggressive and will probably attack the guppies or tetras ....

the catfish is probably a Panda catfish .... the cory catfish are schooling fish ... should have 3-5 of them ...

quitters said:
ok awesome thanks. i swear all i want for christmas is a LFS that knows what there talking about.

i went in today to get some lights and see what plants they have, i go to the guy "im in my first week of cycling" and he goes how are u doing it? and i go with raw shrimp, and he laughs in my face and says, "thats not how u cycle, *grabs a bottle of nutrafin cycle* thats how u cycle, see, it says cycle!" GRRR!!!!

so how am i meant to trust fish from that store? blah.

the fish stores here in jacksonville , fl most of them will try to sell u all kinds of chemicals to speed of the cycle process ...... ME i dont add any of that crap .. i dont want toxic soup ... ill wait and let it do it natrually .. most of them will say you shgould only do ONE 25% water change a month .. they say by doing it once a week your killing hte good bacteria and it shocks the fish ...

IceH2O said:
If you don't want to do 50% pwcs weekly I'd rethink the Gourmais. They are real sticklers about water changes.

You'll need really good water quality to keep them. On the bright side they aren't as picky about pH, KH,GH.

i had a Powder Blue Dwarf Gournami ..... pretty fish .. i called him Grandpa ( cuz of the long whisker things on him ) ...

ikon,

Um, that OP was almost a year ago. I would assume by now the OP has a fully stocked tank. :)

7Enigma said:
ikon,

Um, that OP was almost a year ago. I would assume by now the OP has a fully stocked tank. :)

OP ?????

Original Post or Original Poster. i.e. the first post of this thread (and the majority of those after were from almost a year ago).

Back
Top Bottom