Water changes help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new tank that I have been trying to cycle with fish. How often should i be doing water changes?

When your ammonia and nitrites test over .25 then you need to do a water change. It may be a couple a day depending on your bio load

When your ammonia and nitrites test over .25 then you need to do a water change. It may be a couple a day depending on your bio load

Oh ok. Well i have the 5 in one test strips from API and they are stupid and I don't think they show ammonia levels. Should I suck it up and buy a different test kit? :/ (I didn't realize this it would that complicated to control monitor the water conditions)

Yes get the liquid master test kit by API. Under 20 bucks on amazon

How much are they at a LFS cuz I don't think I want to wait for it in the mail and chance loosing any little guys to bad water quality

FishDaAx said:
How much are they at a LFS cuz I don't think I want to wait for it in the mail and chance loosing any little guys to bad water quality

LFS by me sells them at 40 bucks. Pretty steep if you ask me.

FishDaAx said:
Ouch!!! :/

Yea I bought my first one there. Never again though. I just order my replacement bottles online when I run out now. I've only ever run out of my ph and my nitrate tests though. I test weekly for oh and nitrates. I stopped testing ammonia and nitrite weekly since my tanks have been cycled for a few years. Now I just test once every few weeks or if I notice a fish acting funny. Never had any spikes since my cycle.

Andrew McFadden said:
Test kits do go outdated just a 4 warning

Yea mine are all good til 10/14and my two new ones 9/16 if I'm remembering correctly. It maybe the older ones are this year, idk either way I know they aren't dated yet

Back
Top Bottom