Water changes please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
I'm wondering if it wasn't the vacuum but the changing of the filter media (or at least a mix of the two). Regardless of the reason just do water changes to get them down. Is that photo above from today? If so you'd need to do a number of water changes. For example, with nitrites at 2 a 50% water change would get it down to 1, which is still toxic. Another 50% would get it down to .5 which again is still on the high side. So you'd need to really do 3-4 large water changes of 50-70% each to get that down further.

Most LFS stores don't really give sound advice (not all of course, but most from what I've experienced). There's no need to use carbon all the time unless you're removing meds. There's no harm in having it in there but you don't need it and instead using a filter pad or something would give more surface area for bacteria to grow on. What kind and how much filter media do you have in there total and what did you replace? To me it sounds like a mini-cycle from replacing the filters and stirring up the gunk on the bottom.

I am using the aqueon 10 power filter. Currently I have both pads in right now. It giving enough room? It is jammed in there pretty tightly. Do u recommend doing 50% WC daily or 2 in a day? Also I had the amquel plus at home already and I poured some in.. :/
Thank you for all your help.

Tinafina said:
I am using the aqueon 10 power filter. Currently I have both pads in right now. It giving enough room? It is jammed in there pretty tightly. Do u recommend doing 50% WC daily or 2 in a day? Also I had the amquel plus at home already and I poured some in.. :/
Thank you for all your help.

Also - with the media filter should intake out the new one? Or can they both be placed inside? I never took out the old one.

I'm not too familiar with the Aqueons but whatever media you have in there now I'd leave it in and wouldn't take anything out. It's ok if it's tight as long as it isn't hindering the flow of the water through the filter.

Products like Prime and Amquel Plus can help detoxify temporarily but only temporarily (I know Prime does it up to 36 hours I think, not sure about the Amquel) and if you keep adding it in without water changes eventually the products can build up and become toxic I think. Water changes are really your best friend right now. With nitrite that high I'd do a few water changes today as I said. You really can't just do one and then let it wait; the nitrites are going to rise more and your fish could be in trouble. Don't be afraid to do more than one water change per day if your fish need it. As I mentioned earlier I'd do a 50-70% water change, wait 15-25 minutes or so, then do another. Wait another 20 minutes then check the water. If nitrites are still over .25, keep doing them until they are as close to 0 as you can get them. Then check the water daily and do water changes as needed to try to keep on top of them so they don't spike that high again. Hopefully it's a mini-cycle and won't last long.

So I've done Numerous WC's and it doesn't get better than .50
Could I just have a problematic tank?

It could be that you are overfeeding, or that perhaps there is more gunk under the bottom of your gravel.

Or my main suspicion is that your bacteria colony is not well established enough to convert that much ammonia. I would only feed every other day, still keeping up on PWC.

bruinsbro1997 said:
It could be that you are overfeeding, or that perhaps there is more gunk under the bottom of your gravel.

Or my main suspicion is that your bacteria colony is not well established enough to convert that much ammonia. I would only feed every other day, still keeping up on PWC.

I think you are correct.

Btw: I feed fish so seldom only the top feeder gets it.

Ughhh :(

How large of a water change are you doing? Small pwc aren't going to affect the numbers much. By any chance have you tested your tap water for ammonia and nitrite? Some tap water can have those levels in it which may be where the readings are coming from. If not, larger water changes using a good dechlorinator and feed sparingly. What kind of food are you using? If the fish on the bottom aren't getting food you may want to also use a sinking food depending on the type of fish.

librarygirl said:
How large of a water change are you doing? Small pwc aren't going to affect the numbers much. By any chance have you tested your tap water for ammonia and nitrite? Some tap water can have those levels in it which may be where the readings are coming from. If not, larger water changes using a good dechlorinator and feed sparingly. What kind of food are you using? If the fish on the bottom aren't getting food you may want to also use a sinking food depending on the type of fish.

I was doing at least 50% of WC. Last night I done a massive one, so we will see if anything changed. I tested my tap and it is good. Just don't know what is spiking the water. I done about 10 WC within 3 days. I use small spectrum pellet food and flake. Although the little fishes are catching on and swimming to the top now. I'm feeding them sparingly and every other day now. I feel bad.

I've never done a fish-in cycle but I think it's common for nitrites to want to stay on the high side. Enough water changes back-to-back should reduce them at least temporarily though. After a pwc wait about 30 minutes and then test levels again. If they're still over .25, do another water change, then wait 30 minutes, test, etc. You're doing fine, hopefully this phase won't last too much longer for you. Fish can go a long while without eating (1-2 weeks I've read) so feeding them every other day is fine. They always "look" hungry so it's easy to feel badly but rest assured they aren't starving. :D

The nitrite is getting a littttle bit better. Today I took my fish out and scrubbed the tank tank down took all the water out and replaced it. Let the filter run for quite awhile b4 putting back the fish. I check my nitrite level and it was 0. Till I added the plant and fish back it- .25-.50
Rechecked it now and it's settling between 1-2. Is my tank too small? Dwarf neon rainbow and 4 neon Tetras and 1 snail.

This is beginning to be REally Annoying

What kind of snail is it? If it's an apple or mystery snail, they have a big bioload.
IMO dwarf neon rainbows need 55 gallons and upwards. The neons should have a school of six.

It could be your bacteria colony does not yet have nitrifying bacteria to convert NO2 into NO3 yet.

Don't worry, after awhile it gets better! (y)

I'm wondering if it's the plants. If they are decaying they are adding to the ammonia in the tank and it could be you don't have enough bacteria to convert the toxins. Can you toss the plants and see if that helps?

Also what size is the Aqueon, do you know? how many gallons is it rated for? It could also be you don't have enough filtration for your size tank.

You also are going to have to upgrade your tank size fairly soon. The Neon Rainbows should be in groups of at least 5 and they can grow up to 3" which is too large for your tank. Neon Tetras also do better in larger schools of 6+. YOu're probably OK short term as long as the Rainbow isn't full-grown yet (although he/she would like some friends and they wouldn't fit in a 10 gal) and if you have adquate filtration but I'd think about increasing the size of the tank in the near future.

librarygirl said:
I'm wondering if it's the plants. If they are decaying they are adding to the ammonia in the tank and it could be you don't have enough bacteria to convert the toxins. Can you toss the plants and see if that helps?

Also what size is the Aqueon, do you know? how many gallons is it rated for? It could also be you don't have enough filtration for your size tank.

You also are going to have to upgrade your tank size fairly soon. The Neon Rainbows should be in groups of at least 5 and they can grow up to 3" which is too large for your tank. Neon Tetras also do better in larger schools of 6+. YOu're probably OK short term as long as the Rainbow isn't full-grown yet (although he/she would like some friends and they wouldn't fit in a 10 gal) and if you have adquate filtration but I'd think about increasing the size of the tank in the near future.

I took out that plant all night long - & this am my nitrate is a FIVE again!!! I am getting a new tank, the LFS is a DA
(dumb ***) telling me wrong information for fishes. :( anyway, it's not the plants, it's most likey the filtration system im
Guessing.. I was wondering if I can get a new and improved system while this is still cycling. I have a Mystery snail in there btw. I purchased this tank from Craigslist- Wrong Move! I asked why he was getting rid of it and he said all his fish were dying. What should i do?

I took out that plant all night long - & this am my nitrate is a FIVE again!!! I am getting a new tank, the LFS is a DA
(dumb ***) telling me wrong information for fishes. :( anyway, it's not the plants, it's most likey the filtration system im
Guessing.. I was wondering if I can get a new and improved system while this is still cycling. I have a Mystery snail in there btw. I purchased this tank from Craigslist- Wrong Move! I asked why he was getting rid of it and he said all his fish were dying. What should i do?

NitrIte or nitrAte? You want nitrates in the tank, in fact they're unavoidable. They aren't as toxic as ammonia or nitrites but shouldn't be allowed to get above 20. The only way they leave the aquarium is through water changes hence a good weekly water change schedule.

If nitrItes are still high then the tank is still cycling. It's possible you're slightly overstocked and under filtered. How long has the tank been cycling with fish again? Cycling can take up to 8 weeks so if it's been less than that you may just need to be a bit more patient and keep up with the water changes.

If you wanted to upgrade tanks and/or filters you could do it, just move everything over to the new tank if you get one and keep the current filter, just add a second one to the tank as well that way you're just adding, not taking anything away that might have beneficial bacteria on it.

The weirdest thing happened. My Nitrite is at 0ppm! After the huge pwc and the spike that happened afterwards, I moved my plant away from the filter bubbles and did not burry in the gravel. And after that- maybe my tank cycled but everything is good.. Now my next issue. Rainbow dwarf to big for 10gallon huh? So adding another is out of the question. For the time being adding any additional fish would be cruel?

Back
Top Bottom