Water changes when cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have just set up a new aquarium. I had it running for two weeks before I added my first fish. I have been monitoring the ammonia in the tank. How often should you do water changes to reduce the ammonia? I was told weekly and only 10% that doesn't seem to be enough when monitoring the ammonia. I have only added the one fish. Not going to add any more until for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I started keeping fish I was doing 10% per week. The fish grew larger. Then my local fish store guy gave me a formula based on so many total inches long of fish in the tank divided into the number of gallons and then divided again by 2 gives the % of water change a week.

I had a 135 gallon tank and six 7" adult fish in it.

42/135 = about .31 (31%)

So, anyways, I did a 25% change from then on every week.

There are fish (Discus) that need more water changes because they are very sensitive to ammonia.

There are fish (Oscars) that need more water changes because they are basically a pig.

In fact I see one guy right now (Oscar Fish Advice Forum) asking about two adult Oscars (each 12") in a 130 gal tank, and was told online by a long time Oscar keeper to do a 50% change twice a week. That is 100% a week!

The formula would say 2x12" = 24"... 24/130 = 18%
But Oscars are wide bodied and make a huge mess !

And Discus require very clean environments !

Thanks for this information that was really helpful. Mine tank is only 90 litres with one fish at the moment. I will do what you said and work it out thanks again.

I wouldn't have got this tank the pet shop said it would be big enough for two goldfish. Once I read on here it's no where near big enough. I will look into a bigger one for them. Thank again

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello I have just set up a new aquarium. I had it running for two weeks before I added my first fish. I have been monitoring the ammonia in the tank. How often should you do water changes to reduce the ammonia? I was told weekly and only 10% that doesn't seem to be enough when monitoring the ammonia. I have only added the one fish. Not going to add any more until for a while.

Hello ya...

You'll get many answers to this question. When I cycled my first 30 G, if I had a positive test for either ammonia or nitrite, I removed and replaced 25 percent of the tank water with pure, treated tap water. The amount kept the water safe enough for my fish and still left enough nitrogen for the good bacteria to grow. You're growing a biological (living) filter that will use the dissolved fish wastes for food. So, it's important not to remove too much water or you could delay the cycle. You test the tank water daily. If you have a trace of the above toxins, you change the water. When you have several daily tests with no traces of either ammonia or nitrite. The tank is cycled.

Something that helped, I added stems of Ancharis to the tank. This plant is a natural water filter and helped keep the tank water a bit healthier for the fish.

The idea is to use hardy fish that can tolerate the somewhat poor water conditions that happen during the nitrogen cycle.

B

Thank you. I tested the water today and the ammonia was nearly 0.25 no nitrite. The fish has only been in a couple of days. Sorry so if there is ammonia you keep doing daily changes? Thanks I just want to make sure

Do a wc every time your am or trites get above .50 ppm.. say your amm is at .75. Do a 50% wc to knock it down to .35ish ppm.. are you using seachem prime?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish In Tank Cycling

Thank you. I tested the water today and the ammonia was nearly 0.25 no nitrite. The fish has only been in a couple of days. Sorry so if there is ammonia you keep doing daily changes? Thanks I just want to make sure

Hello again ya...

If you have less than hardy fish, even a trace of ammonia or nitrite is enough to kill them. Monitor the tank water very carefully, by testing daily. If a test shows even a trace of the above forms of nitrogen, change and replace a quarter of the water.

The process takes roughly a month.

B

Hello again ya...

If you have less than hardy fish, even a trace of ammonia or nitrite is enough to kill them. Monitor the tank water very carefully, by testing daily. If a test shows even a trace of the above forms of nitrogen, change and replace a quarter of the water.

The process takes roughly a month.

B

+1.

I know, I know -> high/low ph vs ammonia/ammonium level but some fish are more troublesome (as opposed to fish that are merely troublesome).

Thank you everyone for your help. Really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom