Water cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsantii12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I finally got my 55g and that baby has been cycling. I actually set this one up with tap water and used substrate instead versus rocks/gravel... my water nonetheless is perfect...

However I have my 20g that’s been up and running for a little over 4 months and I don’t know what the problem is but my water can not stay clear for more then a day. My numbers are excellent that my local stores and other fishy friends want to know what I do. I did a water change about 3 days ago and I did about 40% because of the cloudiness. I use purified water jugs and I have never had any sick or dead fish since I’ve had my tank.

Currently in there are 4 glass cat, 3 black fin, 2 Cory.

Any help please?!
I apologize in return as my tank is nowhere set up due to this and I don’t wanna set it up 100 til I can get it in control.

IMG_1509994288.777109.jpg

Cloudiness is either one of two/three things.
1. Overfeeding. Solution stop feeding for 3-4 days and continue to feed less.
2. Bacterial imbalance. Although perfect by test your bacteria are not in balance.
Solution hold off on water changes and feed less to allow bacteria to catch up and balance.
Most reading says eventually cloudy water will be found to be in excess of ammonia...
3.Not really cloudy but green water is actually algae floating in the water.So small it looks like your water is green. Solution less light and possibly if needed a UV sterilizer..

Looks like bacterial bloom. For me an East solution to combat cloudiness is by installing a UV sterilizer. It helps like magic.

My guess is Bandits #3 choice. The noted water cloudiness has happened to me in almost every new setup I've ever started. It's harmless to the fish and goes away by itself in a few weeks as long as proper maintenence is followed.
I compare the situation to my summer task of maintaining my wife's swimming pool. If I allow the water chemistry to get just a little out of balance, water cloudiness or an all out algae bloom can occur overnight. What a nightmare. I'm glad summer is over. :)

Thank you all so much! I will be buying a UV sterilizer.

Questions...
Water change prior to installing this? Or let the UV do it’s job? This tank has been set up for months and it’ll stay clear for a day and right back to this. Should I not put anymore bacteria?

Looks like bacterial bloom. For me an East solution to combat cloudiness is by installing a UV sterilizer. It helps like magic.

Should the UV be on all the time? I’ve read so many mixed reviews on this. How should this work?

I would run it 24/7.
Turning it on and off will shorten the 1 year [on average] life span of the bulb..

Back
Top Bottom