water colour change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionheart

Aquarium Advice Activist
i recently set up my tank and i am doing a fishless cycle until day 6 the water was crystal clear then overnight turned greeny in colour i took a sample in a clear glass container and the water appeared clear out of the tank,wen i first set tank up i added aquasafe solution + easy balance solution also today i added nutrafin cycle to aid in the cycling process the water does seem to be getting clearer and althou i washed the gravel before it went into the tank i am wondering if it is some dust left in gravel that as discolured the water as the gravel is green and blue in colour,i am using a fluval 3plus internal filter and a 150 watt interpet heater i have also put in some plastic aquarium plants,i have kept tropical fish in the past and have always used under gravel filtration and i have never experienced discolouration i am unsure if it is a bacterial bloom or just dust from the gravel,can anyone plz tell me wot they think and suggest i should do, also if someone can tell me how long i should i do a fishless cycle for before i add my stock in the past i have added a fewneon tetra's just to speed up the process and have never lost any,

Milky or cloudy color water is normal during a tank cycling. If this is what it is, it is bacterial in nature. It should clear up within a few days assuming your tank is continuing to cycle. However, if it is green, that would indicate an algae bloom. If you think that is what it is, checkout the plant resources link in my signature block. It contains several resources and references to deal with an algae bloom.

Back
Top Bottom