water conditioner and plant fertilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Conditioner doesn't remove the metals. It neutralizes them. Plants can usually use nutrients in many forms.

So it's ok to use both at the same time? The tablets are more expensive than the liquid, is it ok to just use the liquid? I have easy plants, no halide, and no co2, so I need something additional, don't I?

Which liquid is it? A low-tech setup like yours may not need any fertilizing at all. It really depends on the fish to plant ratio. Lots of plants with a few fish may need some supplements.

I read once that someone wrote to one of those conditioner companies--I forget which one, maybe Seachem (who makes Prime) and asked about this question. The response was something along the lines that the conditioner remains in the water less than 24 hours, and so they recommended that you not dose trace ferts for the first 24 hours after using the conditioner.

After reading that, I no longer dose my traces on water change days.

As always, YMMV.

Right now the plant to fish ratio is negligible. For now, I envision many schoolers among many plants with out going having to use co2 or halide. I don't need an extravagant display but something pretty to look at at the end of the day without having to look at dying plants and bad water. I love plants but I can't go nuts.
Thanks for calling Seachem, JohnPaul! The instructions on the bottles/ packages should say so. Even plant books should say something. I've been dosing at pwc's.
Are Seachem products more expensive than many others? My lfs are awful so I will have to buy online. Any suggestions? I've heard API is decent.

Thanks for calling Seachem, JohnPaul! The instructions on the bottles/ packages should say so. Even plant books should say something. I've been dosing at pwc's.
Are Seachem products more expensive than many others? My lfs are awful so I will have to buy online. Any suggestions? I've heard API is decent.

Just to clarify, I did not contact them myself. Someone else did and posted the exchange (their email to Seachem, and Seachem's email response back to them) on one of the aquarium forums I was reading.

As for expense, Seachem Prime looks like it is more expensive than others, because the bottle which is roughly the same price as other brands bottles, is way smaller. But the reason is that Prime is much more concentrated--with other brands you are putting in entire capfuls, with Prime you 1/5 of a capful can dechlorinate 10g or 20g. And Prime handles absolutely everything nasty that might be in water: chlorine, chloramine, toxic heavy metals, etc. Many other brands don't. IMO, Prime is the best water dechlorinator on the market, bar none. I personally wouldn't use anything else in my tanks.

BTW, since you said you have to buy online, two of the best sources of online aquarium stuff that I know are:

Drs. Foster & Smith / LiveAquaria
Big Als

You may already know about them, but if you don't, I think you'll find their selection when it comes to aquarium goods to be much better than PetSmart or Petco or some of the other larger chains out there. Drs. Foster & Smith actually have a GREAT deal where ground shipping is only $5.99, no matter how much you order, or how heavy it is. You can order ten bags of aquarium gravel (which weighs a ton!) and only pay $5.99 shipping. Crazy. No idea how they do it, but they do. I've ordered from both sites, multiple times, and have been pleased with both.

I fell in love with Foster and Smith's website while I was looking for a tank. Their supply's shipping may be inexpensive but the shipping for livestock is a flat 13.99. But you get it in 2 days due to it's fragility. Thanks!! :turn-l:

I think Seachem just playing it safe. Water conditioners have chelating agents (like EDTA) to neutralize heavy metals. Guess what? Microelements in liquid ferts are already chelated. So, it is OK and safer to add ferts to the water that you will use for PWC than dump them directly to the tank.

So it's ok to use both at the same time? The tablets are more expensive than the liquid, is it ok to just use the liquid? I have easy plants, no halide, and no co2, so I need something additional, don't I?
the tablets you mean root tabs? root tabs and water column ferts do different things. some plants need the ferts in the substrate like swords and crypts while other stem plants can take it from the water column. dealing with one doesnt always mean the other is fine.

Back
Top Bottom