water flow and sparkling gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering putting a trio of sparklers in a 10g heavily planted and heavily shaded tank.

I have a Whisper 10 in there, which does a great job, but I'm afraid the flow of water would be too much for the gouramis' bubble nests.

does water flow really bother these fish? I know they are from lazy warm waters, but I would think a sponge filter would still create a lot of surface agitation.

I have my adjustable flow turned all the way down for them. The whisper isn't adjustable, if it's the same in-tank filter I'm thinking of, but I use that one in my bumblebee goby tank and they needed the flow baffled because it was knocking them all over the place. I crammed the back behind the filter cart with additional media in the way of fiber floss and ceramic rings in a nylong bag. It slowed the flow just perfectly for them, and works more effeciently as a bonus.

siva said:
I have my adjustable flow turned all the way down for them. The whisper isn't adjustable, if it's the same in-tank filter I'm thinking of, but I use that one in my bumblebee goby tank and they needed the flow baffled because it was knocking them all over the place. I crammed the back behind the filter cart with additional media in the way of fiber floss and ceramic rings in a nylong bag. It slowed the flow just perfectly for them, and works more effeciently as a bonus.

Ok, that's probably the easiest fix! I'll stuff the life out of that filter! Thanks!

Ooo you keep sparklers? Do you have any advice on how to keep them? :)

Make sure you get a trio that is 2 females and 1 male. I accidently ended up with 2 males and 1 female and males fought pretty badly.

Hey, are there any tips for keeping sparkling gouramis that you guys can share? I ordered some and have never kept them personally so any info would be great, are they similar in temperment to regular size gouramis? I was planning to keep them in a sponge filtered tank also, but I'm sure I could slow down the agitation with floating plants if necessary.

Mine haven't given much problems, besides the male on male aggression I had going on for a while. I do suspect the three of them teamed up on and murdered one of my CPO's, which was quite a feat for them considering she was bigger than the three of them put together, but other than that, they've been real easy going. ;)

I have a question too. Can they be kept in pairs or alone? I'm wanting to get some for my 10g after my betta passes (he is VERY old) but would have to order them in so can't choose the sex.

If you order them from severum/HN1 or bobstropicalplants.com you can probably get them sexed...I'm guessing anyway. They are pretty timid so I wouldn't want to keep one alone but it seems like a pair would be OK.

My lfs just got 6 supposedly sparkling gouramis in for me yestersay and I will pick them up tomorrow night! I just started a log about it so i can share what they are like kept in a 10g.

Back
Top Bottom