Water hardness/alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I'm just getting started so I thought it might fit.

I have a little ten gallon tank with no fish!

I've been cycling it for two days now and everything is flowing smoothly. I tested the water yesterday and the hardness of my water was very hard. It appears to take color of soft at first, but darkens within about 30 seconds. My alkalinity pad takes an ideal color at first and darkens greatly after a few seconds. And my pH is most vivid red on the chart. I hoped that letting it sit overnight would lower some of the levels since I tested it right after I used the coniditioner. But the results didn't change.

I wanted to know if these results are okay for fish or not, and if not what can I do to fix them?

I would not even test for that till the cycle is over. You will get messed up results. The only thing I would test for is Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrates to see where your cycle is. Everything else you will not get a true reading till after the cycle and a good size PWC. BTW welcome to AA

Just to clarify. Since you are cycling without fish, you are adding another source of Ammonia to get the cycle started correct?

In most cases living with the KH, GH, and pH of your water out of the tap is the easiest and best for your fish. Stability is key when it comes to keeping fish. It's only when you get into keeping some very specific fish, or more importantly breeding fish that you might want to consider adjusting these values.

Finally it sounds like you're using test strips to check your water parameters. These have a tendancy to be rather inaccurate, especially if not stored and handled properly. You'll want to switch to liquid test kits instead. The API Master Test Kit is relatively inexpensive and has all the basic tests that you would need.

melosu58- My nitrite and nitrate levels are at perfect places but I have no way to test for ammonia as of yet. I'm going to the pet store today to research some fish and I'll search for ammonia tests. And thanks for the welcome!

Purrbox- As stated above, I have no way to test my ammonia levels, so I'm not adding anything yet and I'm going to get a test kit today. Yes, I'm using strips and I've read that I should use a liquid testing unit instead so I'm looking into it.

I'll see what the liquid tests come up with and repost my results, hopefully with a change!

Since you haven't added any ammonia to the aquarium, then it actually isn't cycling yet. Right now you are effectively only testing your equipment to ensure that it is working properly. Cycling an aquarium is building up the necessary bacteria to convert the Ammonia to Nitrite and Nitrite to Nitrate. They need a food source before they can start colonizing your filter.

Here are my new test results.
pH - 7.6+
High Range pH - 8.2
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

I plan on purchasing API Proper pH so I can maintain a preset pH level that isn't so high. I haven't yet decided on a cycling fish breed but I'm leaning towards a few Red Wag Platies. What pH level would best suit them?

I ordered a small 7-9 inch ropefish to raise for a while until he grows to be a foot long. When he reaches this length I'm selling him to a friend who has a much bigger tank. He doesn't want him right away because of recent additions to his tank that will be eaten by the ropefish. It is my understanding that ropefish don't thrive well in newly established tanks. I was wondering when a good time would be to introduce him to the tank? I don't know if he'll eat the platies but I don't mind if he does since they're only my cycling fish.

*Note: I do not have the ropefish yet, he should arrive at the pet shop tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's best to NOT try and alter your PH, if you PH is stable then thats good for most types of fish. Swings in PH will stress them out.

My PH is ~8.2 also and things are doing well, and its stable.

You should read up on fishless cycling, as you dont have fish yet. It will take 1-2months to cycle your tank(either method). If you have fish in there it will be stressful on them.

Also you should look into an ammonia test kit if you dont have one as this is the 1st thing you are watching while cycling as it is harmful to fish.

On the ropefish I would Not even consider putting that into a 10G tank at any point

SpeedEuphoria- I do have an ammonia test kit, but I don't have anything in my tank that would change anything involving ammonia yet. That's what I was looking into fish for. I researched hardy starter fish and Red Wag Platies was one of the possibilities.

As for the ropefish, I have read in many different places that they require more space than ten gallons, but that's why I thought it would be okay if he was only temporary. I'm keeping him for a friend until his new baby loaches grow. After a few weeks he'll be moved to his 55 gallon tank.

And I do enjoy the look of a ropefish. Are there fish resembling these that don't grow so large and would be suitable in a ten gallon tank?

"Since you haven't added any ammonia to the aquarium, then it actually isn't cycling yet."
"They need a food source before they can start colonizing your filter."

Any tank, from the time it is filled with dechlorinated water, has already started "the cycle". Spores from the air start colonizing the water. In new water the is enough free "food" available to start and maintain a SMALL colony. The addition of ammonia helps the multiplication and spreading to other parts, including the filter.

Any tank, from the time it is filled with dechlorinated water, has already started "the cycle". Spores from the air start colonizing the water. In new water the is enough free "food" available to start and maintain a SMALL colony. The addition of ammonia helps the multiplication and spreading to other parts, including the filter.

Yes the bacteria are present either in the air or the water to start the cycle. Yes there is there may be small amounts for them to feed on. But no this does not mean the Cycle is started. In the traditional sense that the word Cycle is used in the aquarium hobby, you must have an ammonia source to start the Cycle. Since the purpose/result of the Cycle is to build up sufficient amounts of beneficial bacteria to deal with fish waste so that they can be safely housed in an aquarium, without an ammonia source it simply isn't possible.

Since you've got a friend with aquariums, definately see if you can borrow some seed material (filter material, gravel, etc) from one of their healthy established aquariums to get yours started. You'd want to add this on the same day that you add fish and/or another ammonia source like pure ammonia or raw shrimp. This will speed up the cycle and make it much safer for the fish if you decide to go that route.

Purrbox, can you be more specific on the borrowed filter material I should add when I add my fish?

Joy just means that if your friend has an established tank, try to get some of his/her filter media/pad/foam/bag, ect.. to put into your tank when you get some fish to speed up the cycle.

Last edited:
Ahh okay. That's what I figured but better to be safe than sorry! Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom