Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
You could try shutting off the filter for a moment while taking a sheet or two of paper towels and dragging them across the surface. The protein film should cling to the paper towels. Might not remove all of it but it should reduce most of it.

Yes, the air pump should help. You might look for an air stone that produces larger bubbles rather than finer bubbles; I believe the finer bubbles require higher pressure and that might cause the pump to run noisier. I have not run one in a long time.
So using the gravel vacuum to suck it up wouldn't be a good alternative? If not I'll just use the paper towels!

Yes my air stone is just like a hose with a very small hole at the end so I will try purchase a starfish one or something lol. Surprisingly the actually bubbles in the tank are what's loud, I've wrapped the pump in a shirt which manages to reduce the noise/vibration quite a bit!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlee13 View Post

So using the gravel vacuum to suck it up wouldn't be a good alternative? If not I'll just use the paper towels!

Yes my air stone is just like a hose with a very small hole at the end so I will try purchase a starfish one or something lol. Surprisingly the actually bubbles in the tank are what's loud, I've wrapped the pump in a shirt which manages to reduce the noise/vibration quite a bit!
Actually the gravel vac works as well for removing surface film.

I have also used a tall clear plastic cup and siphon hose in the same manner; cup is about an inch below the water level and the hose draws water out of the cup and into a bucket. This draws water from the surface into the cup; of course you need to adjust the depth of the cup so that it draws surface water and not too much air (to break the siphon).

Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Actually the gravel vac works as well for removing surface film.

I have also used a tall clear plastic cup and siphon hose in the same manner; cup is about an inch below the water level and the hose draws water out of the cup and into a bucket. This draws water from the surface into the cup; of course you need to adjust the depth of the cup so that it draws surface water and not too much air (to break the siphon).
Ok I will possibly give the siphon a try in the morning. I stopped my filter just before and quite a bit of water came out when I opened it up and once
I started it up again it seems to be working better like before, so I'm hoping by the morning the film will be gone. I noticed I have carbon in the filter media so I think I should try get rid of that too from what I read.

Tags
ate, water, weir, weird

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com