Water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishDude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum...

I have a 25 Gallon Tall that has been running with feeder GF for a week to try and build up bacteria. I've done daily test's and did my first 30% H2o change today.

Pre-change I was at:
Low PH- 7.6 hence why I went to the High reading...
High PH- 8.4
No3-0
No2-0
NH3/NH4-0

I grabbed a API Gh/KH test kit and those numbers after the change were:
KH- 322.2
GH-393.8

I understand the PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels but the General Hardness and the Carbonate Hardness are making no sense to me. I know a general meaning (what makes it hard or soft) but have no idea how this will effect stocking or what I can even stock my tank with? Are these numbers normal? Do I have crazy city water? Are aliens going to eat my brain?:eek: I'm so confused.

I use Tetra H20 conditioner and API Aquarium salts but that's it as far as chemicals go.

Will the GH and KH drop or is they're something I should be doing?

Any help the folks here could give would help me out a lot.

The hardness is related to dissolved minerals in the water. GH is general hardness and KH is carbonate hardness. GH is caused by calcium and magnesium mostly. KH represents the buffering capacity of the water (e.g. its ability to resist PH changes). The higher the KH, the more stable PH will be. A PH of 8.4 is fine, your fish will adapt, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to add driftwood because you like it, you can, but it isn't needed if you just wanted to lower PH.

The hardness is related to dissolved minerals in the water. GH is general hardness and KH is carbonate hardness. GH is caused by calcium and magnesium mostly. KH represents the buffering capacity of the water (e.g. its ability to resist PH changes). The higher the KH, the more stable PH will be. A PH of 8.4 is fine, your fish will adapt, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to add driftwood because you like it, you can, but it isn't needed if you just wanted to lower PH.

Thanks for the help. Would this water be able to support Dwarf Gouramis or should I go with something else?

Back
Top Bottom