Water Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started up our 29G tank yesterday. Have a brand new aqua clear 70 HOB filter. Rinsed the sponge, carbon and bio bag and filled the tank and filter up. Clear water all day yesterday and last night. After work today I turn on the light and the water is cloudy, whitish tint. I had the filter on it's lowest setting but have turned it to max and will run all night that way. If it's still cloudy tomorrow should I just start over? I used a cap of prime, that was a double dose. Could this have caused the cloudy water? Does prime have an expiration date? I do not see one. I opened the filter and saw that the carbon bag and bio bag had floated to the top of the basket. I pushed them back down on top of the sponge. How do I prevent this and could that have caused cloudy water? I have a active filter coming so i need to get this cleared up as soon as possible.

it is called a bacteria bloom. its a natural thing that happens when setting up a new tank. after a few days it will clear up. its part of the new tank cycling process. the filter media will help this process .

it is called a bacteria bloom. its a natural thing that happens when setting up a new tank. after a few days it will clear up. its part of the new tank cycling process. the filter media will help this process .

It's highly unlikely that it's a bacterial bloom since the water has only been in the tank for a day and no ammonia added. What kind of substrate do you have in the tank? A picture of the tank might also help out.

Cloudy water wont hurt a filter at all, its just unsightly.

did you use tap or RO water, it could be disolved minerals and gas's from your tap water breaking down

We used tap water to fill it up. Had a smaller tank setup before and never had cloudy water. Have just plain gravel in the tank. Looks better today but the issue I have is that my active filter from angelplus has arrived and I want to know if I should put it in the tank or change out all the water now before placing the filter in the tank? I used a cap of prime when I started it which is a double dose. Could that have caused the cloudy water? So the big question is whether or not I change all the water before putting in the active filter? Attaching a side view picture

Attachments

• 100_4871.jpg
    100_4871.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 37
It wouldn't hurt to change all the water. Again, the cloudiness won't hurt anything; the bacteria don't need to see to eat ;) So it really is all up to you. If you're that worried about it then go ahead and change it all out.

The prime also isn't going to be the culprit in water cloudiness

Leave it to settle, don't change it. I made the same mistake. Best thing is to leave it. Your tank has bloomed.

It wouldn't hurt to change all the water. Again, the cloudiness won't hurt anything; the bacteria don't need to see to eat ;) So it really is all up to you. If you're that worried about it then go ahead and change it all out.

The prime also isn't going to be the culprit in water cloudiness

I personally wouldn't change it. It extra unnecessary work. Just add the filter cycle the tank. Just remember you are going to change the water anyhow before you add fish so no need to worry until you are going to add fish(y)

I don't think it matters much either way. Cloudy water itself won't harm anything, it just might bug you to look at it, but in terms of the cycle and adding the filter, it doesn't matter if it's cloudy or clear.

I am new to this forum but am wondering how to clear a new tank that is cloudy from driftwood that wasn't soaked long enough prior to adding it to the tank? I have added water clarifier yesterday and today but so far tank is still light amber colored. Will adding carbon to the filter help clear the water?

I am new to this forum but am wondering how to clear a new tank that is cloudy from driftwood that wasn't soaked long enough prior to adding it to the tank? I have added water clarifier yesterday and today but so far tank is still light amber colored. Will adding carbon to the filter help clear the water?

Absolutely carbon is meant to clear water color, not saying it will clear your water of cloudiness( algae bloom, bacteria bloom, ect.) But it will remove yellow tint, as for the clarifier u must be careful with it, even more so since your using drift wood, in some cases(including an experience I had) the clarifier can cause some of the drift wood to break apart and actually increase the issue instead of relieve it, 99% of water issues can be fixed with water changes or biological/natural methods

I always say the fewer chems u put in your tank the better

Also welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums as well! :)

The best media to remove tannins that I've found is easily purigen. In the long term it will cost you less than carbon will and it doesn't have to be replaced often, just recharged.

Welcome to the forums as well! :)

The best media to remove tannins that I've found is easily purigen. In the long term it will cost you less than carbon will and it doesn't have to be replaced often, just recharged.

Good call I didn't think of that

They are small beads that will absorb some compounds like tannins. Once they become exhausted you can recharge them with bleach. It works amazingly well for clarifying water.

Thank you, I will try to find some today after work I give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom