Water Level too low?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my 46 Gallon Tank I washed it and put up the stand and everything. Waited about a day and then added around 15 Gallons of water. And then I waited about another day or so for leaks. Today I put more water in. And it was about 2 inches from the bottom of the top black thing. It was just enough so that my HOB filter would cause some surface aggitation, but not too much splashing sounds. When my mom saw it she was like that is way to much water, and said the stand would break and the tank would fall foward and shatter into pieces. I started telling her it wouldn't happen unless there was like some earthquake (Which is very unlikely since I live in Houston) or someone tried to push it. She still didn't believe me and wanted me to lower the water down 6 inches from where the water level currently was. I lowered it and the splashing sounds from the HOB filter got louder and the filter started to make some weird sounds as if it was barely able to get the water going. Is this good for the filter? And do you think the water level is way too low? My stand is wooden and has 2 metal poles in the front to hold it up. I would think it could hold it up since I doubted that the LFS would sale a stand too weak for a tank. I currently turned off the filter just in case. So you think the water level is too low?

Rxblade123....

Yes....the water level is too low. Being a dad myself...I usually won't argue with a parent but in this case your mom (waves at mom) is incorrect. Unless your stand is not level, there shouldn't be any problems at all with it falling. You are right in thinking that aquarium stands are generally designed to hold the weight of the tank they're built for. It certainly isn't doing your pump any good to have to draw the water up that much of a column of air.

Hope this helps!

i agree with fruitbat as a hobbiest i have seen tanks far bigger than that on stands

1 gallon of water = 8lbs therefore ur tank with gravel/sand will weigh close to 400lbs this is completly normal and if the stand should be able to handle it with no problem

there are tanks available with stands that are 210 gallons, 1680lbs :mrgreen: of water and they have no problems

I think its the bowfront look that makes the tank look like it wants to fall foward. At first the surface the stand was on wasn't level. But barely and it was facing toward the wall X.X, but my dad and I fixed that and it should be extremely close to level. I checked it many times, yes I am very careful about this thing. Since this is my first tank over 10 gallon :D well I'm going to try to convince my mom the tank will be ok and slowly increase the water level so my mom won't be all freaked about it.... I can't wait until the tank is cycled and the fish start filling it up :D. When cycling can I add about a few gallons of water slowly into the tank? I'm just wondering since I don't want to screw up the cycling process. I would take a short cut to cycling lol. I have a new thermometer that I put into my 10 gallon for the time being. Can I put that thermometer into the 46 gallon to give it at least a little bit of bacteria to start things off? Talking about fish things always makes me happy XD

Rxblade123...

The amount of bacteria that would accumulate on a thermometer wouldn't give you much of a jump start, I'm afraid. I know how anxious you are to put some fish in that 46 bow....but take your time and do it right! :)

Use gravel from your other tank, filter media, anything from your other tank. Plants even... and read up on fishless cycling..

Back
Top Bottom