Water levels A.OK, except Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have a 30 gallon goldfish aquarium which is 2.5months old, which is fully cycled. I added the fish and snails a few weeks ago, and now the water looks a little (not foggy, not murky), blurry? I'm trying to come up with the right word, but its just not crystal clear anymore. Have checked the water the last 3 days, and Ammonia is at ZERO, Nitrate, PH, are both within recommended levels, except my Nitrite is at .50ppm.

I normally add 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water added, but did some reading and found that if i up it to about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, it will help the fish tolerate this period when i'm trying to get the nitrite under control. The last two days, i've also done a 25% water change, and it doesn't really change - what gives????

If you have nitrites, the tank is not completely cycled. In a cold water tank, it can take up to 8 weeks to get past the nitrite phase. <That was how long mine took!>

If you've done a fishless cycle, then added the fish just a couple weeks ago, this would indicate that bacteria colony is not big enough to support the bioload (& goldfish are messy!). The bacteria will catchup in a week or 2. <This is what people call mini-cycle.>

You would want to maintain nitrites at 0.25 or less. That would mean water changes for the next little while.

You actually don't need a lot of salt to protect against nitrite poisoning (Cl- level 20x that of nitrite is needed.) 1/2 tsp/gal is around 0.07% & is perfectly adequate.

Thanks for the response - yes after a few daily water changes of approx 25%, the nitrites are back to zero, water is clear, fish are happy. :D

Back
Top Bottom