Water levels - slightly confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At the end of June I bought a 55g tank and I made the common starting mistake of putting fish in the tank right away. I later found this site, got a little educated, and have been checking water levels and doing partial water changes since.

A few days ago I tested the ammonia levels in my tank and it was between .5 and 1. I did a 50% water change. I use prime as the conditioner and a ph decreaser since the water from my tap has a pretty high ph (usually around 7.8 - 8.0). The next day I checked the ammonia and it was .25ish.

One of my angel fish had what appeared to be dropsy so I treated the tank with Marcyn 2. In case you are wondering, the angel fish didn't survive. I kind of figured as much from what I've read about dropsy.

As usual, the ammonia levels started rising again but I didn't do another water change because I was treating the tank. I checked the water levels today and not only is the ammonia 0 but so are the nitrites and nitrates. I did each test twice making sure I followed the directions exactly using a timer (I have the API Freshwater Test Kit). I kind of expected the ammonia levels to rise considering the tank probably isn't cycled yet but I'm confused on how all readings can be 0 at the same time.

Is it possible that Marcyn 2 had the effect of "reseting" all of the levels or is something else going on? I'd appreciate any advice or help that can be provided.

All those chemicals in the tank can be throwing your levels off.

I would suggest to stop using the pH decreaser and leave the pH where it is unless you have ridiculously sensitive fish. Most fish can acclamate to the pH you have.

All those chemicals in the tank can be throwing your levels off.

I would suggest to stop using the pH decreaser and leave the pH where it is unless you have ridiculously sensitive fish. Most fish can acclamate to the pH you have.

I would have to agree.

Who else do you have in there?

I have the following:

5 long fin red minor tetras
5 cory catfish
5 glofish
1 plecostomus
3 dwarf gourami
1 angelfish

The only reason I'm using the ph decreaser is from what I've read most of the fish I have like a ph of 7. I never get it that low but I usually try to keep it around 7.5. I'll stop using it though.

Back
Top Bottom