Water parameters cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ph-7.6
Ammonia- 1.0 ppm
Nitrite- 0.0 ppm
Nitrate- 0.0 ppm

I added fish flakes as ammonia source, it's been running for a few hours. It has a seeded filter... How long before it starts working?

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia?
Did you add any used filter media?

A bit unusual to have a brand new tank and see ammonia readings from fish food after only a few hours. Fish food has to actually start to decompose before any significant ammonia levels will be present.

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia?
Did you add any used filter media?

A bit unusual to have a brand new tank and see ammonia readings from fish food after only a few hours. Fish food has to actually start to decompose before any significant ammonia levels will be present.

I will check...
Yes I used old media.

Ph-7.6
Ammonia- 1.0 ppm
Nitrite- 0.0 ppm
Nitrate- 0.0 ppm

I added fish flakes as ammonia source, it's been running for a few hours. It has a seeded filter... How long before it starts working?

Ahh, another cycling mystery. I agree with jlk that the fish flakes probably would not decompose that quickly. I think it is a buildup of a few different things, or perhaps a combination of a them.

1. The gravel could be leaching ammonia (unlikely in non-planted tanks), like ADA Aquasoil (I think) does. Or it could be old gravel with things in it that would decompose.

2. You could have trace amounts, that would add to anything from your gravel, or you cod have a whole part per million of ammonia from your tap.

3. Filter media has some gunk and crap in it that the bacteria is too "stunned" to "eat".

4. Your test was slightly off or you read it slightly wrong.

It was probably a combination of those things, plus a little bit of decomposition of the flakes, or one major thing, like a bad test or that you actually have ammonia in your water.

My tap water has 1.5 ppm ammonia! H t was resor without dechlor

I don't understand what you were trying to say for the last bit, do you mean you DIDN'T add dechlorinater?

You HAVE to add dechlorinater before testing for ammonia, as you'll get a false positive from the Chloramines.

Back
Top Bottom