water PH 6.0..cichlid tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evo8

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm not a newbie..just having a noobie problem. Lol. I've never had this happen and can't figure a solution..I have a 20g breeder tank..6 jaguar cichlids and 3 EBJD waiting for there mates..I've been battling an ammonia problem for some time (yes the tank was cycled and cycled correctly) but thays not the problem..my water is buffering very acidic..like 6.0 acidic..my tap water is testing over 7.6 pH though..something has to be buffering it down..any suggestions? I have a sand bottom..water changes weekly..(almost two times a week at this point) my levels are as followed.
6.0 pH
.25-.50 ammonia ( prime controlled for te fish)
0 nitrite
.2 nitrate
Oh and just so theres no scrutiny all of the EBJD are one 1.25" and the jaguars are like 3/4". Yes they will be moved when its time..

Oh and have also been steadily adding pH up..which is not working..I'm beginning to think its pH down in the up bottle..hehe

So I'm not a newbie..just having a noobie problem. Lol. I've never had this happen and can't figure a solution..I have a 20g breeder tank..6 jaguar cichlids and 3 EBJD waiting for there mates..I've been battling an ammonia problem for some time (yes the tank was cycled and cycled correctly) but thays not the problem..my water is buffering very acidic..like 6.0 acidic..my tap water is testing over 7.6 pH though..something has to be buffering it down..any suggestions? I have a sand bottom..water changes weekly..(almost two times a week at this point) my levels are as followed.
6.0 pH
.25-.50 ammonia ( prime controlled for te fish)
0 nitrite
.2 nitrate
Oh and just so theres no scrutiny all of the EBJD are one 1.25" and the jaguars are like 3/4". Yes they will be moved when its time..

Any driftwood? And with a pH that low the BB stop working

Nope no driftwood..I was using Gordon's ammonia detox. Which is the only thing I can think of..although it says it won't bother pH..I'm thinking if just doing a 100% water change and starting over using prime so I can still house the cichlids..

Just add crushed coral to your filter

I was sitting here thinking about that..and it hit me..I have a nice big chuck of limestone leftover from my 60 gallon which will help buffer it higher!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131105_221405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131105_221405.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 39
The limestone will work but your tank is going to have to recycle so you need to watch your ammonia and nitrite readings daily.

Any driftwood? And with a pH that low the BB stop working

I don't think that's true, I believe once you get under 5.0 then it becomes a problem. Discus and dwarf tanks can get very acidic and def below 6.0 with no filtration problems

Actually if you research BB begins dying off at a ph of 6. Then you usually see some ammonia show up in the tank BUT the lower the ph the less toxic the ammonia. You don't see any nitrites or have to worry about them since BB can't grow.

I don't think that's true, I believe once you get under 5.0 then it becomes a problem. Discus and dwarf tanks can get very acidic and def below 6.0 with no filtration problems

I correct myself your right it is 6.0, for some reason I had 5 stuck in my head. Arguably you could just leave the pH be, plus SA cichlids prefer softer over hard water anyway.

Actually if you research BB begins dying off at a ph of 6. Then you usually see some ammonia show up in the tank BUT the lower the ph the less toxic the ammonia. You don't see any nitrites or have to worry about them since BB can't grow.

Yes I corrected myself lol you beat me to it! And yeah acidic tanks are actually the easiest to maintain in that respect! You really would only need some flow for gas exchange and skip a filter altogether then right?

Yes I corrected myself lol you beat me to it! And yeah acidic tanks are actually the easiest to maintain in that respect! You really would only need some flow for gas exchange and skip a filter altogether then right?

We for you... your just practicing having a pre-senior moment!!! I have them more than I care to admit but mine really are senior moments...lol!

You could but I'd still use a filter for mechanical media and chemical if needed.

We for you... your just practicing having a pre-senior moment!!! I have them more than I care to admit but mine really are senior moments...lol!

You could but I'd still use a filter for mechanical media and chemical if needed.

Yeah I would still use one just not worry about biomedia just stuff it with sponges and poly. Hmm ill have to see how it goes when I tear down my 40 for a more acidic planted apisto tank

Back
Top Bottom