Water pump decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need advice on a drive pump choice for my sump. 120G tank with 70g sump trying to exceed 10X filtration per hour.

I bought the eshopps pf-1800 overflow. Has a max flow of 1600gph

Want to spend less than $150 on the pump

Rio 32HF $95 (1400gph @ 4 feet)

Pondmaster supreme Mag 24 $155 (1700gph @ 4feet)

Home depot 2000gph waterrall pump $139

Even considering a 2000gph rated pool pump SFS 2000 for an intex pool I saw on craigslist for $70

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I think the home depot waterfall pump would work well. I would put a ball valve on it so you control the flow regardless of the pump you pick.

What fittings do you plan on using and are the sizes readily available for the pumps? How much space do you have in the sump? If you have enough space, I would go for the pool filter and restrict using a ball valve.

Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of space for whatever pump I choose. The fittings I can make work however needed. I want a very strong pump to maximize the maximum flow that my overflow box will allow. I am doing an oscar tank so they should be able to handle the crazy flow I am trying to create. If I can achieve 1600+GPH with the head height that will turn my tanks 120gallons over every 5 minutes :) Of course I could dial it down a bit if needed

I have a hardware store across the street from my house. I am going to start with one pump and later on down the road add a second pump. The 2nd one will be a backup pump and will also act as a pump to pump out the water for water changes.

If that is the case, I would check out the pool pump and see if it meets your liking. If not, I would get the homedepot pump.

You definitely seem like you want as much flow as possible so look for motor/impeller degradation on the pool pump.

In the future I would like an oscar tank, there is this huge 13 inch one at my LFS. Thing looks awesome. You should update us with pics and what not. :)

If you want even more flow capacity you can make a diy overflow out of pvc pipe. Nice and cheap, should be able to help. :)

You should only need a turnover of 5x to 10x per hour so you should only need a pump ata rate of 600 to 1200 gph

10 X per hour is once every 6 minutes. A pump rated at 1200gph wont actually turn it over 10x per hour with 4' head height would produce 800gph which turns my 120g over 6 times in an hour. I like to be on the upper end of the scale since I am doing an oscar tank and having the option of being able to dial it down with a ball valve. A pump rated 600gph at 4' would push out about 400gph which is only 3x filtration per hour

I was given this for free. Anybody know the brand of this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427587500053.jpg
    1427587500053.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 31
You should only need a turnover of 5x to 10x per hour so you should only need a pump ata rate of 600 to 1200 gph

There is head height though which decreases pump efficiency. It is always good to have as much flow as you can have, and regulate it.

Back
Top Bottom