Water quality help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbear

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a small pond, not exactly sure how big it is, and I alway treat water by the gallon when doing water changes, and I have a 3g tank I was wanting to get ready for a betta but is currently holding all the plants my brother gave me as I do not have my 30g set up yet, vet bills for a cat stopped me from being able to build a stand. I saw a post on here about testing ph high when the regular test is really dark and the ph tested at 7.8 in both, the pond has three little comets the 3g has no fish. My amonia looks like its in between 2 and 4 in both, the nitrites are both .25, and nitrates both look like they are at a 5 in both, nothing im doing seems to be helping the amonia get down and the nitrates get up, do the pics look like the levels of ammonia n nitrate im seeing or am I crazy? Been like this thru all the water changes, what should I do?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401856050983.jpg
    1401856050983.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 54
Ammonia test

Attachments

• 1401856280561.jpg
    1401856280561.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 57
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If your levels are not dropping after a water change, either you have toxins present in your tap or the wcs are not of a sufficient size/frequency to drop the levels. Are both the betta tank and pond new? If not, did you change something recently (filter media, substrate, water conditioner, etc)? Some more info will help!

Its the same pond I set up after I found out that goldfish couldnt be in the 3gal, and the betta tanks been set up since the week befor memorial day, testing water out of tap now

So I figured id post a pic to verify that im reading right

So this is strait tap water

Attachments

• 1401858825009.jpg
    1401858825009.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 50
  • 1401858836061.jpg
    1401858836061.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 54
Anyone have sugestions? Im really unsure of what to do. Should I get a few jugs of water from the store?

Anyone have sugestions? Im really unsure of what to do. Should I get a few jugs of water from the store?

Not practical for a pond, but you can consider using spring water (not distilled or purified) for the betta tank. Just make sure you test the parameters before using and start with small, gradual wcs as the parameters will likely be very different than your tap.

Once your pond and tank are cycled, your bacteria should be able to handle the ammonia in your tap without an issue. Your fish will be helped by a good water conditioner such as Prime and doing smaller but more frequent wcs to limit the amount of ammonia your adding.

In the interim, if you can get some cycled media, this will be the most helpful to jump start the cycling process (along with using Prime to detox ammonia and nitrite). If this is not possible, Dr Tim's One and Only has the most positive results especially with coldwater setups as a bacterial starter. Please ask if you have questions!

Ok so we had an accident today with the pond, my daughter dumped a jar of food into it and stirred up the water, it looked like yoohoo. So I cleaned the filter in the water from the pond and set it up again and did the biggest water change ive done in it, probably 75%. Then tested it the ph is 7.2. Ammonia is .25 nitrites are .25 and nitrates are 0

So what else can I do? I vaccumed the bottom as well as best as I could

Not sure how large your filter is but just a suggestion.. you may could think about getting some zerolite ammonia neutralizer to put in your filter and check your water parameters daily performing water changes when necessary.. That's what I would do anyway maybe have seachem amguard or another ammonia neutralizer in case it it skyrockets ?

Ill have to look for it, my betta tank(no betta yet just plants) took a hit from the todler tornado too....ph 7.6 ammonia 2 nitrites 5 nitrates 40

Did a 75% water change and vaccumed the gravel, lots of plants had melted...found a cute little snail, I feel aweful for him tho. Used some spring water as well as treated tap mixed. Hopefully my daughter wont be able to get up to the tank now, rearanged all my furniture

The betta tank is now at 7.6 ph .5 ammonia .5 nitrite and 5 nitrate, testing the pond now, but had to buy new media for the filter

Much better than they did, the ponds numbers 7.6 ph .25 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates....but the water is still clouded up by the clay like stuff that was under the gravel and the fishfood....should I keep doing waterchanges on both or just the pond or what? Im planning on getting a bag of sand for the bottom of both when I can get back to town

Yeah as long as you still have ammonia I would keep doing water changes daily to every other day if possible if it is to much on the pond maybe set your limits to when you will change it like .5 to .75 and when you put sand make sure you wash it several times it is going to probably cloud the water for a couple of days.. Not going to harm the fish just may look unsightly until it settles

Back
Top Bottom