Water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_tothe_lijah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is tap water safe for first time filling? We have primer to use but want to just fill it from the sink or bath tub. And another question is do you need to treat water when you add tap water to an already established tank? Like besides adding the prime.

Fishkeeper26 said:
Add prime to your water whenever you add water to the tank

x2 I always dose my tank with Prime prior to refilling my tank. Usually a cap full will do. If I'm in real trouble I just dose accordingly.

for a first time filling, you only need a dechlor. For water changes, again, you use water from the tap and your dechlor. You can add dechlor to the tank before adding water straight from the tap.

BillD said:
for a first time filling, you only need a dechlor. For water changes, again, you use water from the tap and your dechlor. You can add dechlor to the tank before adding water straight from the tap.

+1 Just make sure you add enough dechlorinator to treat the whole tank if you are adding untreated water straight to your tank. It's also a good idea to turn all filters off so no untreated water gets into them where your BB are.

Back
Top Bottom