Water smells stagnant and wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with a Fluval 405 and somewhat of a newbie to owning an aquarium.

I have never had an aquarium of this size before and was defiantly looking forward to the challenge. I was all excited today to get this underway I have everything I need, set the tank up, filled the tank, and turned the filter on.

Unfortunately it was at that moment I realized that I never emptied out my filter almost 2 months ago when I stopped using the it from when I had turtles. All of a sudden the entire room smelt like dead decaying death of stagnant water that has been sitting in my filter.

I realize since everything is dead in the filter I will have to start over with the filter. I flushed the filter with hot water I have done a couple of water changes but the stench just wont go away what can I do to rectify this? Or will it go away once the filter is up and running again?

Welcome Aboard!

Did you open up the filter? Chances are the media in there is ruined or needs a really good cleaning and the hoses are probably full of gunk too. How much water did you change in the tank? I'd empty it and do a good wash on the substrate if it were mine. Basically start over after a good cleaning of everything.

Good luck!

Thanks, yes the media is done for. Fortunately everything, other then the media, is new so I already have a leg up on that. Let the cleaning begin! :)

Back
Top Bottom