water test results check it out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
my neighbor just set up his 55 gallon acrylic tank about week and 4 days agao and we put the fish in 6 days ago and we just took the first tests and he and i really dont know much about the whole cycle thing so im trying to figure it out my test results were taken with test strips ok here they are
alkalinity was 80
Ph was 6.5
nitrite was 2
nitrate was160
and amonia was 3.0

what should i do i know some of this is high but is that only because it has been going for about a week?

PWC are key here. If it gets any higher, you may have no choice but to get a product like AmmoLock to lock the Ammonia up to a less harmful state. Your numbers look like you're either transitioning from the Ammonia step to the Nitrite step; or that your filter(s) can't keep up with the bio load. I want to say the later is you case since your nitrate levels are so high. Worry about the ammonia first, then the nitrite, then the nitrate. As I mentioned, you should probably look in to AmmoLock or some Ammo chips if the PWC's don't help.

One problem that always seems to surface is the test strips and the results. The test strips are not exactly reliable.

You would do well to have him use re-agent kits (Aquarium Pharmacueticals makes an excellent one). The results from these test are almost perfect.

The levels you posted are way off the charts for the amount of time the tank has been set up.

Those do look like typical test strip results. Like JC said, a liquid reagent FW test kit is best

thanx ill have to pick one of those up how much do they cost and can i get them at any local fish store?

buy the test kit online. even with shipping, its usually cheaper online. online: $15 plus shipping. At lfs, 25 - $35 plus tax

Petsmart has the test kit for about $20 I think. You will also need to buy a nitrate test kit since the kit doesn't include one. :D

If you are talking about the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit, it comes with Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ph, and ph high tests already in the package.

Back
Top Bottom