Water testing for 10g freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vixean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to use this thread as a journal for my water test results. I will be posting my results every two days. Any form of advice or insight is always welcome!

1st water test: January 19, 2014
----------------------------------
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm
(I am waiting for my Nitrite testing kit to come in the mail.)

Also, at what level(s) of ammonia and/or nitrates should signal me to make a partial water change? Thank you!

Last edited:
You could just use fish food to cycle with.

I am going to ask my neighbor if he could part with some of the media in one of his established tanks... I also heard food cycling gets messy x_x My nitrates and ammonia are quite low currently, so I'm not too worried about the fry.

Water test #2 (before 50% water change): January 20, 2014
---------------------------------------
Ammonia: approx. .30 ppm
Nitrates: approx. 2.5ppm

Water test #3 (after 50% water change):

Ammonia: approx. .05-.10ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

(Still waiting for my nitrite testing kit! I made the mistake of purchasing my kits separately, but it ended up being cheaper than my local pet store's price for the master testing kit :p)

Water test #4 (before 35% water change): January 22, 2014
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ammonia: .50ppm
Nitrates: approx. 2ppm

Water test #5 (after 35% water change):

Ammonia: approx. .25ppm
Nitrates: approx. 1.3ppm

Water test #6: January 23, 2014:
--------------------------------------
Water looked cloudy, did an ammonia test: 2.0ppm!

Water test #7 (after 65% water change):

Water test #8: January 24, 2014
----------------------------------------
Water is cloudy again.
Ammonia: 1.0ppm

Water test #9 (after 55% water change):
Ammonia: TBA

Water test #10 (Before 40% water change): January 25, 2014
-------------------------------------------------------------
Nitrates: approx. .5ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm

I dont know if I would be doing water changes that big. On one hand you have fish in there and they need lower levels of toxins... But on the other hand large water changes during cycling are not a good idea. It significantly lowers the bb strength and it will take you longer to cycle. I might try 30% instead of 50%. Just my experience! Good luck :) upload a pic if those cute babies!

I dont know if I would be doing water changes that big. On one hand you have fish in there and they need lower levels of toxins... But on the other hand large water changes during cycling are not a good idea. It significantly lowers the bb strength and it will take you longer to cycle. I might try 30% instead of 50%. Just my experience! Good luck :) upload a pic if those cute babies!

Why would it harm the BB strength? They still have ammonia, and they don't just die without it. Apparently they can live for months without ammonia.

Why would it harm the BB strength? They still have ammonia, and they don't just die without it. Apparently they can live for months without ammonia.

+1 Even when there is a .1ppm ammonia level in the water there is still available ammonia for bacteria to consume and grow. I don't know where the rumor started that water changes cause cycling issues.. but I really wish it would go away.

Even if it did make the cycle take longer (which it doesn't) Fish health is waaay more important than cycle speed.

Water test #11 January 26, 2014 (One day after 40% water change):
-----------------------------------------------------
Ammonia: .25ppm

I am very happy that the ammonia levels in my tank are finally starting to settle. Hopefully they won't go up again!!

Water test #12 January 27, 2014 (before 30% water change):
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ammonia: approx. .30ppm
Nitrates: approx. 1.0ppm

Water test #13 January 31, 2014 (before 50% water change):
-------------------------------------------------------------
Nitrates: approx. 2.5ppm
Nirtites: 0ppm

It's obviously not good that there are these sorts of toxins in the aquarium water, but I am pleased to know that I am entering phase two of the nitrogen cycle :) I will do another water test tomorrow to see how everything is going. The fish are doing well, too!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom