WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
took me 3 hours to finish wc for my 30G. is this normal?

What?? How did it take 3 hours what did you do? I have a 180 gallon and it only takes me a half hour at most for just a wc. Now it may take a little longer if I clean my canisters

Andrew McFadden said:
What?? How did it take 3 hours what did you do? I have a 180 gallon and it only takes me a half hour at most for just a wc. Now it may take a little longer if I clean my canisters

the siphon part took me the longest as there are many poops that are "heavy" and the siphon just cant suck them up...i had to use a small tube to get them...

My guess is your not using a python, if not I would look into it they help cut your time in half if not more. I love not needing to use buckets for pwc's.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
My guess is your not using a python, if not I would look into it they help cut your time in half if not more. I love not needing to use buckets for pwc's.

+1. I have an aqueon water changer and I'd die without it. I don't use it on my 20 but weekly on my 90. I only use one bucket for my 20, sometimes 2 but it's in my bedroom and my master bath is 20' away makes it convenient. Still that's a LONG time for a WC. Should take 30 min give or take... :)

FishyBusiness said:
+1. I have an aqueon water changer and I'd die without it. I don't use it on my 20 but weekly on my 90. I only use one bucket for my 20, sometimes 2 but it's in my bedroom and my master bath is 20' away makes it convenient. Still that's a LONG time for a WC. Should take 30 min give or take... :)

I have a question regarding the python or aqueon wchanger. What do you do when you have to fill the tank up? Straight from tap? I saw youtube a lady add water striaght from the hose lol but isnt it dangerous for the fishes?

Sorry for asking so many questions xD

baygon said:
I have a question regarding the python or aqueon wchanger. What do you do when you have to fill the tank up? Straight from tap? I saw youtube a lady add water striaght from the hose lol but isnt it dangerous for the fishes?

Sorry for asking so many questions xD

It's okay! There's a "switch" on both the siphon part and the faucet adapter. You hook it up to the faucet and turn your water on. Keep both switches open and the water flow from the faucet creates suction to siphon the tank. When I'm done siphoning I close the switch on the siphon head (leave the switch open on the faucet adapter) and I get my tap water to proper temp. When it reaches temp I open the switch on the siphon head then close the switch on the adapter and it will fill your tank. I just dose my chlorine remover as it starts filling up. It's actually very easy even though it sounds complicated. The higher water pressure you have from your faucet, the more siphon power you'll have. :)

I have an aqueon water changer; I'd die without it LOL Makes water changes on large tanks so much easier. I tend to use a manual siphon first to suck up debris on the bottom as the tube on the aqueon is very large and I'm afraid of sucking up fish plus my sink gets clogged if too much debris gets sucked in. When you're done draining water just turn the levers off and add a full dose of dechlorinator to the tank (enough for the whole tank not just the water you're replacing) and then make sure the water is about the same temp as the tank and then turn the switches back on to refill.

librarygirl said:
I have an aqueon water changer; I'd die without it LOL Makes water changes on large tanks so much easier. I tend to use a manual siphon first to suck up debris on the bottom as the tube on the aqueon is very large and I'm afraid of sucking up fish plus my sink gets clogged if too much debris gets sucked in. When you're done draining water just turn the levers off and add a full dose of dechlorinator to the tank (enough for the whole tank not just the water you're replacing) and then make sure the water is about the same temp as the tank and then turn the switches back on to refill.

That makes me nervous too. I'm not worried about sucking them up but when I refill the tank, twice now I've had a few mbunas swimming Inside the siphon part. Just hanging out. I have to keep an eye on it. I don't think they can fit in the tube anyway especially that long against the current but I don't want to find out lol!

Back
Top Bottom