weird fishless cycling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I am having a very strange problem. I am on day 34 of my fishless cycle, and I haven't had nitrite readings in 5 days now. The problem is, my ammonia still won't go to zero in 24 hours. It will drop from 3-4 to about 1 ppm, but doesn't seem to want to drop to zero. This only concerns me because I thought when your nitrites disappeared, you were pretty much done with the cycle. Is waiting on your ammonia to nitrite baceria common, or do I have some sort of issue with my tank?

Thanks, Ben

It's at 6.6, which is a little low I guess. The thing is it has been there for a couple of weeks now

ben27 said:
It's at 6.6, which is a little low I guess. The thing is it has been there for a couple of weeks now

I'd recommend a massive water change, add in a small pinch of ground up fish food, dose the ammonia back up and see what happens :)

I'd recommend a massive water change, add in a small pinch of ground up fish food, dose the ammonia back up and see what happens :)
Ok, I did a 50-60% water change, and added fish food and ammonia. New ammonia is 4.0, new pH is 7.4. I guess I'll post again tomorrow when I test again. Thanks

NitrItes still at zero? If so, yep :)
yep still zero nitrites. This is good because I am hoping to get my fish this weekend. I'm at college and don't have many opportunities to go to the pet store, but this weekend is one of them haha

Back
Top Bottom