Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Weird Question

I've been planning out what I want in my tanks for decoration, plants etc. I saw these little green Army guys and had an idea. My grampa passed away earlier this year, and all of us grandkids got a shell casing from the gun salute at his funeral, he was a WWII veteran.

My Grampa always loved fish, and the water, so I was thinking of putting the casing in the tank with the Army guys as a little memorial kind of thing. I soaked the casing in a baking soda solution to nuetralize any acidity from being fired. My question is, does anyone know if the brass casing would leach anything into the water that would harm fish?

In over my head, but loving every minute of it!
Fishy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy123
I've been planning out what I want in my tanks for decoration, plants etc. I saw these little green Army guys and had an idea. My grampa passed away earlier this year, and all of us grandkids got a shell casing from the gun salute at his funeral, he was a WWII veteran.

My Grampa always loved fish, and the water, so I was thinking of putting the casing in the tank with the Army guys as a little memorial kind of thing. I soaked the casing in a baking soda solution to nuetralize any acidity from being fired. My question is, does anyone know if the brass casing would leach anything into the water that would harm fish?
Brass contains copper, which could poison your fish.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Brass

What you could do is completely seal (encase it) in silicone or something so that it won't leech anything into the water. Or put it into a hermetically sealed container like a plastic box or glass bottle with a cork glued down.

Great sentiment and cetainly worth researching what would work best so you can honor your grandfather.

Tags
weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com