weirdo sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crumbs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recenty bought my mates fishtank..along with 2 bala sharks, a talking catfish, suckermouth catfish and a reid fish..2 dayz later 1 of the bala sharks died..(my friend had these for 4 years) then it like 5 days later i notice the 2nd shark acting weird..it keeps swimming into the glass really fast..its also got this white ring behind the top fin..anybody no why?

Im new to this..so im mot actually sure if the tank is cycled properly..the person i bought tank frombis suppose to come and test the water..its in a 40gallon tank.

Im new to this..so im mot actually sure if the tank is cycled properly..the person i bought tank frombis suppose to come and test the water..its in a 40gallon tank.

If you put all new water in the tank then that's probably the problem, the fish wouldn't of been acclimated properly so the sudden change in conditions would of caused shock. :(

If you put all new water in the tank then that's probably the problem, the fish wouldn't of been acclimated properly so the sudden change in conditions would of caused shock. :(

Yes 90% of the water was new water...but i bought the stuff to take the chlorine out of the water.. the rest of the fish seem to b ok nt not the weirdo shark!!

Yes 90% of the water was new water...but i bought the stuff to take the chlorine out of the water.. the rest of the fish seem to b ok nt not the weirdo shark!!

Balas can be sensitive. Also they often benefit from plants or visual barriers to define the sides and cushion any impacts. They do best in Large long tanks in groups as they startle easily. I used to advise using timers for lights, putting them in quieter areas and using plants along the back and sides, plus Black or brown background on back and sides at least till they acclimate.

Sorry about your fish.

Balas can be sensitive. Also they often benefit from plants or visual barriers to define the sides and cushion any impacts. They do best in Large long tanks in groups as they startle easily. I used to advise using timers for lights, putting them in quieter areas and using plants along the back and sides, plus Black or brown background on back and sides at least till they acclimate.

Sorry about your fish.

Hi..thanks for writing to me..i need all the help i can get. Tbh i dont have a clue what im doing and i dont want any more fish to be harmed by my lack of knowledge on this. Ive just set this tank up and havnt got it thw way i want it yet..i have a backround on thw back so the fish didnt get confused..i have yet to buy plants and hiding places for the fish bt i will. Atm i have 2 collaseums in the tanks..there will be more plants and stuff to follow..i will attach a photo of my aquarium the minutw i can. Thanks again

Yeah you might have started a mini cycle, do you have a test kit? Hopefully it will calm down once it realises it's safe :)

Sorry about your fish.

These are some pics of my tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131002_162855.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131002_162855.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20131002_162929.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131002_162929.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20131002_162947.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131002_162947.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 77
And I also vote for testing your water. Buying your own kit is usually best. Otherwise take some tank water to the store ASAP to get tested.

API Master Test Kit is usually the best. Check Amazon as well as the store for best prices.

I recenty bought my mates fishtank..along with 2 bala sharks, a talking catfish, suckermouth catfish and a reid fish..2 dayz later 1 of the bala sharks died..(my friend had these for 4 years) then it like 5 days later i notice the 2nd shark acting weird..it keeps swimming into the glass really fast..its also got this white ring behind the top fin..anybody no why?

I just love fish the way they grow small to big the way they just look at u when it’s feeding time . The way I breed them it amazing . The colour of the change . Making sure the water is clean for them to be happy . And u could also name them . My flowerhorn is named hatchy mr hatchy and mrs hatchy and I’m going to have a red teal gold arowana soon so I might name him or her Zeus or Zion

Back
Top Bottom