Well Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LucidSardine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a betta fish a long time ago, before I knew about the nitrate cycle. I had a bubbler for the tank, and just used distilled water. My betta lived for a long time. Now I'm thinking about getting a new one. I'm wondering if distilled or even my house's well water will be safe for the fish. Please help!

I have been wondering the same thing about fish and well water. I'm sure the water differs from place to place but I was not sure if it was good for the fish.

I guess the first step would be to test the water for the usual parameters and post the results on here. You could also contact your local water authority for a water analysis report which will give you a full breakdown of everything in the water.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, here's the thing, we don't really have a water authority. We live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest pet store is 45 minutes away.

Well water contains heavy metals and other stuff that could be harmful to fish. There are additive out there that will remove the heavy metals from the water.I think kordon makes one.

Well water is typically hard with a high ph. As long as you use a conditioner to neutralize any of the heavy metals that were mentioned above your Betta should be fine with the well water. If in doubt you could always mix bottled water and well water. Best thing to do would be to fill up a glass from your tap, then check it the next morning with your test kit. I would still buy a conditioner to neutralize heavy metals though. It's your insurance policy.

If you live in the US, there is someone who can guide you through obtaining a test. You typically mail in a sample so it makes no difference how rural you are. Here is contact info by state:

State Certification Officers for Drinking Water Laboratories | Laboratory Certification | US EPA

For you and anyone with a well reading this, you should absolutely know what you're drinking! There are folks drinking water contaminated with heavy metals, fertilizers, etc. Whether it is safe for pet fish is the least of your concerns if you've never had your well tested.

Back
Top Bottom