Well-Water or Distilled??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok. Ive recieved some great advice from some on here about my new tank and the issues Ive faced thus far... I feel like :facepalm::confused::banghead:!! But now I'd like to know everyones opinion on the water situation Im facing. I have well water where I live. Its great water for humans, no sulfur, the only problem is, it is loaded with calcium. Calcium build-up occures around faucets and you can see it when you wash dished or my truck. So I was a bit afraid to use 100% well-water because of the issues I have read about. I have also been told I could go 50% well-water and 50% distilled water. But I would like to go 100% distilled since its a pure water... What should I do?? I want to give my fish when I get them (after I get my tank cycled) a good healthy home! :thanks:

Here is a web site and an article that will answer your question
Www.americanaquariumproducts.com
Article is:aquarium chemistry overview
By carl strohmeyer
I am also on a well and simply do wc's and add nothing,higher mineral content=better aquarium water,and calcium is actually good for your fish

Yep, your well water is better than distilled. More buffers to keep stable pH, plus minerals that fish need.

I wouldn't be worried abut it. Your fish should adapt. If they are use to it I wouldn't mess with it. If using all RO or distilled water you need to add minerals/buffers back into the water. These are needed for your fish, plants and BB.

I can add the most bland, pale fish to my tank and within 2 weeks the fish looks brilliant,and i have seen huge diff in growth rate with my bro's tank(city water)on juvie's
From the same spawn

Basically your "problem" is hard water, and the only place hard water is anything of a problem is where water evaporates. In other words, you only get calcium deposits in places that get wet, then dry out over and over. Thinks like a faucet and shower door are perfect examples. They get wet, the water dries leaving the calcium behind. With each wet/dry cycle, the calcium build up is started.

But in a fish tank, pretty much everything stays wet 100% of the time, so there is no place for calcium to deposit from evaporation and therefore no calcium build up. So you don't have to worry about the sides of the tank or your filters building up calcium.

The one place you will get some calcium deposits is around the tank lid where some of the water does evaporate. These "edges" will go through wet (damp) dry cycles and build up a bit of a brownish/white calcium deposit. But it will all be on the outside areas of the tank that do dry out, nothing inside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom