What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charmaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am completely new in keeping fish. I bought a tank and cycled it for over a month then I got 4 Neon Sword tails. 2 weeks after I bought them, one got a anchor worm and died and now a few days later my other male is dying. He doesn't have anchor worm, he just stopped swimming. I do water changes every week and use a testing kit for the water. Help!

Its hard to say for sure without having all of the information, but its possible that you did nothing wrong. Sometimes the fish arent kept in the best conditions by the pet stores and their suppliers, so theyre already sick and dying before you get them home. Since your tank is new, the Anchor Worm could have only come from the pet store. After a while you'll get a better idea of which stores around you take better care of the fish before they sell them to you. Even the best LFS around are still prone to problems though.

Going forward, it will be a good idea to quarantine new fish in a different tank, if possible. That way, if you do end up buying a fish that has Anchor Worm, or some other parasite/disease, you can catch it and (hopefully) treat it before it gets spread to the fish in the regular aquarium.

I agree.. sounds like you may have gotten a sick fish from your lfs, check your water perameters, and temp...other than that you should be good...also it can sometimes take longer than a month for a tank to cycle, so be sure you're cycled before adding fish.
Good luck.

First, are you sure your tank is cycled?

Next, where are you buying your fish from? When you go to the store take a careful look at the fish in all the tanks. Are many of them sick?

Back
Top Bottom