What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right, the best is an old filter from an established healthy tank. But gravel, plants...anything will help. It's not absolutely mandatory to have it, but it helps immensely. In fact, if you had enough seeding material you could instantly cycle your tank because you're adding so much healthy bacteria.[/QUOTE]

I have an old boat ornament and a filter that has green stuff all over it i think isnt algae tbh, would that work as a seed for cycling? Could I even use some of the gravel from that established tank too?[/QUOTE]

Is the boat currently in a tank? If it's dry it's dead and useless. If it's in a tank it's great seeding material, but you're also putting the algae into the tank along with the bacteria.

Problem is, the same conditions that help the bacteria grow, can also lead to serious algae outbreaks. That's why in the article it says to keep the light off. So you'd be seeding the healthy bacteria along with seeding algae to grow in your tank.

Just bought the Eheim canister but i wont have it for about a week or so cos its getting shipped to me, if i start my fishless cycle now with the power filter i have, will replacing that filter with my new canister interupt the cycle at all??

Pigeonfood said:
Just bought the Eheim canister but i wont have it for about a week or so cos its getting shipped to me, if i start my fishless cycle now with the power filter i have, will replacing that filter with my new canister interupt the cycle at all??

As long as you move every piece of media from old to new, you'll be fine..best idea would to run both for a while.

Run both filters?? the canister and the power one? is there really any point in moving the media to the new one if ur running both filters??

Yeah I still would, cause the new one is what you'll be running peremently. Actually, don't worry about running both...just take all the stuff out of the old one and put it into the new when it gets there.

Yea it might help expedite the transfer. The water column itself doesn't harbor much bacteria. It is in the media, substrate, glass....anything with surface area. I think directly transferring the media would speed things up for you but its your call.

And when the new one comes in, if it doesnt come with ceramic media (little ceramic balls to put in the canister) run to the lfs and get some. That's the absolute best stuff to colonize your bacteria.

Hey Eco, don't you have a ceiling fan to install?

Yeah I still would, cause the new one is what you'll be running permanently. Actually, don't worry about running both...just take all the stuff out of the old one and put it into the new when it gets there.

ok great, well ill talk to you later going to go find a place that sells ammonia hopefully and get this cycling up and running. I think I have everything i need, AP kit, water conditioner, heater, filter, light, plants, substrate and other decor apart from the ammonia that's all i need....right?

I'm literally doing it right now, the old one just about fell on my head. I had no idea there were only 2 tiny screws holding it in the wall. Now I'm staring at it trying to figure out why there's 2 ground wires. Maybe 1 for the light and 1 for the fan? Doesn't make sense cause you think 1 would handle both. Maybe I should start a new thread, lol.

Make sure the ammonia is PURE!!! We're working on another thread where someone added ammo with surfactants and had to start from scratch. Look at Ace Hardwareif you've got one there.

Get the right ammonia....without surficants from Ace Hardware. Or use shrimp.....PLEASE

eco23 said:
I'm literally doing it right now, the old one just about fell on my head. I had no idea there were only 2 tiny screws holding it in the wall. Now I'm staring at it trying to figure out why there's 2 ground wires. Maybe 1 for the light and 1 for the fan? Doesn't make sense cause you think 1 would handle both. Maybe I should start a new thread, lol.

Yea one for each. No need for a new thread..

Don't forget. ADDITIVES in the ammonia WILL NOT WORK...

eco23 said:
No dyes, no perfumes, no surfactants, no detergents....just a bottle of ammonia.

Or else you're in for some very careful and tedious scrubbing along with starting everything over.

Back
Top Bottom