What are the best nano fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have another 10 gallon that's in the nitrite spike already, this one isn't going to have a heater on it so I was wondering what's the best fish to have here?
I've read about white cloud mountain minnows, also killifish I believe?
If you have any ideas about nano fish that would needed warmer temps I can add in a heater but I want to keep it cold.

If you're going to have a heater, Endler's livebearers (the pure strain are tinier than the ones crossed with guppies).

I'm not 100% sure on the definition of nano, but they're pretty tiny <1"

There are lots of cool native nanos that you could go with, and they do fine in unheated 70s tanks. My personal favorite, gulf coast pygmy sunfish.

I've kept and bred CPDs in unheated tanks with no problem as well.

Yeah the endlers are cool but I haven't found any!

On the native nanos, I like the gulf coast pygmy sunfish, would I just go out and collect them? if so how!

Hmm CPDs sound good too.

If you come to the florida panhandle you could. I think the banded pygmy sunfish range extends to texas though. It'd just take a small net and some luck.

They are somewhat similar to scarlet gem badis in care requirements, but they come from slackwater, swamps, ditches, etc, so they aren't too picky about filtration methods or water temp etc.

They can be a little difficult to transition off of live food or thawed bloodworms.

Do you know anywhere I can start looking online for native fish native to Texas? or something in particular I should research

Okay thanks I'll look at the link and probably will get that guide!
In just looking through pages I've found out the "rosy red minnow" is actually around my area, interesting.

Back
Top Bottom