What catfish are suitable for a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm really thinking I want a catfish for my 55g. What species are suitable for my tank? I came across synodontis catfish on google and I love them! Would it be possible to have one?

I have a synodontis decorus in mine but it will eventually have to be rehomed. They will get 12 inches or so.

I have a synodontis decorus in mine but it will eventually have to be rehomed. They will get 12 inches or so.

The website I was reading on said 8 inches, guess it was wrong. So it wouldn't work in a 55... Darn :(

greetings.

EDIT: the search form couldn't be linked, anywho, you can search the planet catfish species database for the max size catfish you are interested in (mm or inches.) below.

form your own search here.

I should probably have mentioned that I already have cories, I was talking with a friend from here and we both think that having a bigger bottom fish would make for a nice contrast in my tank. Current fish are:
1x albino pleco
4x peppered cories
5x bronze cories
4x rams
6x serpae tetras
1x balloon molly
4x platy (includes 3 fry, can move them if needed).

These are the catfish I am considering for my tank, they are all under 10 inches. Anyone have an any experience with any of these?

1.Species- Pimelodus maculatus
Common name- Spottoed pimelodus

2.Species- Synodontis angelica
Common name- Angel squeaker

3.Species- Synodontis congica
Common name- congo synodontis

4.Scientific Name(s): Synodontis multipunctatus
Common Name(s): Cuckoo Catfish

after you first add them to your tank yes but i have had mine for a few weeks and every morning i turn the lights on a and feed all the fish and my Raphaels come out they will come out any time you feed they are little pigs lol they will eat almost anything i have heard that they will eat poo To they come out at night when the lights are out and eat all the food on the bottom of the tank and only grow 6 to 9 in long but can live 14 years or longer I love mine and know you will love them too.

Frank

Hi Synodontis can and do live along time too(y) They are awesome catfish but can be very secretive so do not expect to see it too often.
Synodontis multipunctatus is a malawi syno so do need A high P/H
The Angelicus can be abit feisty. Protect its territory - but that's about it.
Most other synos would be OK, my favourites being, Greshoffi,Decorus,Alberti and the nigriventis. The Nigiriventis is the true upside down and I believe they can be kept in groups - but do check this first. I would be cautious of any member of the pimelodus family. Good luck and happy new year.:)

So I went to LFS, the lady let me look on her laptop at the site she orders the fish from. Their selection on that particular site wasn't all that great (or I didn't think so), they didn't have hardly anything I wanted except for the Raphael. I may go on a hunt for a site to order one from.... Anyone have any sites to recommend :)

I know this isnt a catfish, I have the same need for a single large bottom fish for my tank. I think an elephant nose would be a unique and peaceful option.

If I do LFS has to order them. I've almost
Talked myself out of Getting a catfish, I just love my little cories way to much! Now I'm thinking I want more of them.

lol I'd say if you aren't 100% it's always better to wait. It's those split second decisions that will get you.

You could also look into loaches if you wanted a different bottom dweller. Just a thought, but if you really like cories; the saying "if some is good, more is better" comes to mind lol.

lol I'd say if you aren't 100% it's always better to wait. It's those split second decisions that will get you.

You could also look into loaches if you wanted a different bottom dweller. Just a thought, but if you really like cories; the saying "if some is good, more is better" comes to mind lol.

I've looked at loaches and am really really on the fence about them. The ones that look like eels freak me out lol. And I pretty sure clown loaches are completely out for my tank size.

Back
Top Bottom