Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What chemicals do I need?

im going to place an order with big al today and was wondering if I needed chemicals. Im new and have absolutely nothing.

So what kinda chemicals do I need? like de chlorinator...and all of that stuff.

and this is for sure a dumb question but I just want to make sure...so when I fill the tank up with normal sink water...it takes a month to cycle it...but when you do a water change with normal sink water why is cycling not needed?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to rhymeswithbear Send a message via Yahoo to rhymeswithbear
You will need a dechlorinator. I use Stress Coat. This can be used in FW and SW aquariums. You don't necessarily NEED it, but I add 1 tblsp of "Doc Wellfish's" aquarium salt per 5 gal. This is supposed to help. The particular type I use is only for FW. Are you getting a brackish or FW tank? If brackish, you will have to use marine salt. I also add 1 tsp of aquarisol per 10 gal as a preventative when adding new fish. Aquarisol is for FW only. This, again, is not exactly necessary, especially if you have a qt tank, which I don't. Some people also like to have some basic medications handy. I have some medicine for fungus and rot just in case. So, to sum up:
*Necessary:
~Dechlorinator
~(for brackish tank: marine salt)
*Highly Recommended:
~Aquarium salt(for FW)
*Recommended(but optional):
~Aquarisol or other preventative
~basic medications as a precaution

P.S. The reason the tank does not cycle every time you change the water is because there are all kinds of helpful little bacteria living in the filter. They are your "biological filter" and are the reason why your tank is considered "cycled" in the first place. However, one time when I cleaned out my tank a little too vigorously, my tank did cycle (changed the filter and used gravel vac...).

Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll need dechlorinater for eliminating the harmful chemicals in your tap water. There is no need for you to get aquarium salt, but you should buy some medications in case your fish get a disease. When you do a water change, you never add sink water to your tank as the harmful chemicals would kill all of your fish, therefore you add dechlorinator to the tap water first and let it sit for 15 minutes so the temperature can adjust to the air temperature. Depending on how much water you'll add to the tank, you look at the directions on the dechlorinator for the correct amount you need to add to the sink water. I recommend you use either Seachem Prime or Amquel for dechlorinating.

When you are cycling you do NOT make a Partial water change and you'll need to have a good test kit.

These articles are great for beginners:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...aq=2&fldAuto=7
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=23

Here is amquel. You just want the regular amquel not the plus:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+112994

This is the dechlorinater I recommend:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...+112993+113565

You'll need one of these to make a water change:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113160
or
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113164

Good luck
Old 06-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, here is a good test kit:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...+113074+113565
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
I'd say get some dechlorinator if you don't have an RO/DI unit, a test kit (one with the test tubes).. and some medicine (pimafix, methylene blue, melafix / whatever) just in case
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

as far as dechlorinator goes. I suggest prime, It goes a lot further in a small bottle!!. Do research your fish before adding salt of any kind. Cories for example don't do so well with salt. Always good to have the melafix around. Its all natural and good for all kinds of things.

Do go read the articles for beginners and the one on cycle. You'll understand better what takes place in the cycle vs PWC. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can add tap water to your tank as long as you add the dechlorinator right afterwards. This is how the python is used. Just to mix the dechlorinator up, I add the dechlor into the stream of water as it's being put into the tank. To date I have not had any fish deaths attributed to water changes.

I'd also have Doc Wells salt on hand, but not necessarily have it in the tank. It can be used to treat ich, so there's no need to get any ich meds. Melafix is also a good thing to have on hand. But really, you can't anticipate what kind of disease the fish will get beyond the Melafix and salt meds. I used to have a bunch of different meds and before they were used they expired. Then, we got Heximatosis and didn't have any meds for it. Figures huh. BUT, most things you can pick up at the lfs if you have a specific disease.

Depending on how large your tank is, I'd recommend getting a python for water changes. It makes them SO easy and you don't have to suck on any tubes to get the flow started. Then, with a twist of a nob, the water refills back into the tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #8

igs going to be a 55 gal
Old 06-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd definately get the python then. With the 55 gal, you're looking at changing 10 gal per week. If you don't mind hauling buckets, then a regular gravel vac is fine, but the python will make water changes SO easy and you could do a 55 gal water change in about 15 to 20 minutes.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #10

perfect, I went ahead and put one of those in my order as well thanks for the help fishy

Tags
chemi, chemical, chemicals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com