What Do I Actually Need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of setting up a new 40 gallon freshwater tank. I've had small fish tanks on and off for years, but this will be my first planted tank, and I'm getting lost in all of the literature about "must have" water amendments and filters and test kits and what-have-you. Is there any one thing that I can do to start getting everything balanced out while I'm learning? I don't have any fish yet, plants will be arriving in the next few days-Red Flame sword, a Madagascar Lace bulb, Potted Melon Sword, Amazon sword, Anachris, Moneywort, Hornwort, Cryptocoryne Wendii Bronze, and Ludwigia Repens. The tank has been sitting, filled, for a while as I've been researching/planning; I did a water test earlier tonight, and it said I've got high nitrites-I think that's what it said, anyway.

The tank just sitting probably did little but off gas the chlorine.
You do need know the difference between nitrItes and nitrAtes.
One is expected and the other dangerous.
Read up on 'Silent cycling' as with plants coming you should get the tank running and there is not time better to cycle it then when you have plants and no fish.All you will need is an ammonia source and the proper test kits.
I like HOBs but many who get into planted tanks like canisters . I think it is a matter of choice . Users of both have complaints and great things to say?
Lighting is pretty important for planted tanks...Maybe even substrate...

The tank just sitting probably did little but off gas the chlorine.
You do need know the difference between nitrItes and nitrAtes.
One is expected and the other dangerous.
Read up on 'Silent cycling' as with plants coming you should get the tank running and there is not time better to cycle it then when you have plants and no fish.All you will need is an ammonia source and the proper test kits.
I like HOBs but many who get into planted tanks like canisters . I think it is a matter of choice . Users of both have complaints and great things to say?
Lighting is pretty important for planted tanks...Maybe even substrate...
Nitr*I*tes are a by-product of waste breakdown, and they are bad; nitr*a*tes are more like nutrients, and they're good, right? I read that "feeding the tank" fish flakes might help bring the nitrites down-true or false?
I've got sand as my base, with fert tabs and something called API Leaf One water additive. I've got an HOB, and plan to stick with it, because they've always worked well for me. Oh, and LED lighting, full-spectrum.

Nitr*I*tes are a by-product of waste breakdown, and they are bad; nitr*a*tes are more like nutrients, and they're good, right? I read that "feeding the tank" fish flakes might help bring the nitrites down-true or false?
I've got sand as my base, with fert tabs and something called API Leaf One water additive. I've got an HOB, and plan to stick with it, because they've always worked well for me. Oh, and LED lighting, full-spectrum.

At moderate levels, 20-40ppm, nitrates are fine and the plants will consume them. In fact, in my tank I had problems at first generating any nitrates: the plants would consume them so fast, I had problems with nitrogen deficiencies.

The plants you bought are all easy to keep, and you have root tabs for the swords, so that's good. I haven't used Leaf Zone, so I can't say anything about it. I use Aquarium Co-Op's "Easy Green" and have been very happy with the results.

You say you have a full-spectrum LED - what brand is it?

Don't be discouraged if you get a fair bit of algae at first: it's normal in a new planted tank until it settles in.

It's a Marineland, with daylight/moonlight settings.

Read the article in my signature link, it has tons of really important and critical information to help you out.

You need a liquid test kit for sure.

Then after that there a few different ways to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom