what do i need to start a 45 gallon freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickys

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i got a 45 gallon tank and hand made stand from my aunt and uncle for a wedding present and i didnt get any thing with it. what do i need? how do i get the hole ecosystem going? i just wont a simple tank for now. i know i need gravel, filter (but what kind would be best), heater, and i have read that in some cases you need air stones some you dont witch one is rite? i know i need a lite to. any help would be great thank you

ok i got a 45 gallon tank and hand made stand from my aunt and uncle for a wedding present and i didnt get any thing with it. what do i need? how do i get the hole ecosystem going? i just wont a simple tank for now. i know i need gravel, filter (but what kind would be best), heater, and i have read that in some cases you need air stones some you dont witch one is rite? i know i need a lite to. any help would be great thank you

you'll need water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine from your tap water. you can cycle your tank in a lot of different ways. heres a thread about it

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

cycling takes some time but this way it will give you more time to do more research on what you want in your tank.

you will need a siphon to clean your gravel, there are many types of filters you can use for your tank. I have an aqua clear 50 for my tank it does the job for me but it is a bit expensive than others. in my opinion aqua clear is the best power filter out there. you can also get aqueon and tetra brands they aren't too bad.
as for heaters you can just get whatever. it doesn't really matter as long as it heats up the tank in my opinion. usually i don't even need mine except for the winter so you can put that off for later.
also lighting for your tank depends on what you have in your tank. if u plan on having plants you'll need a stronger light.

Back
Top Bottom