Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

what do i need to start a 45 gallon freshwater

ok i got a 45 gallon tank and hand made stand from my aunt and uncle for a wedding present and i didnt get any thing with it. what do i need? how do i get the hole ecosystem going? i just wont a simple tank for now. i know i need gravel, filter (but what kind would be best), heater, and i have read that in some cases you need air stones some you dont witch one is rite? i know i need a lite to. any help would be great thank you

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Moved to FW getting started.

Welcome to AA!
This will answer most of your questions and teach you about cycling.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater AquariumAquarium Advice

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickys View Post
ok i got a 45 gallon tank and hand made stand from my aunt and uncle for a wedding present and i didnt get any thing with it. what do i need? how do i get the hole ecosystem going? i just wont a simple tank for now. i know i need gravel, filter (but what kind would be best), heater, and i have read that in some cases you need air stones some you dont witch one is rite? i know i need a lite to. any help would be great thank you
you'll need water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine from your tap water. you can cycle your tank in a lot of different ways. heres a thread about it

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

cycling takes some time but this way it will give you more time to do more research on what you want in your tank.

you will need a siphon to clean your gravel, there are many types of filters you can use for your tank. I have an aqua clear 50 for my tank it does the job for me but it is a bit expensive than others. in my opinion aqua clear is the best power filter out there. you can also get aqueon and tetra brands they aren't too bad.
as for heaters you can just get whatever. it doesn't really matter as long as it heats up the tank in my opinion. usually i don't even need mine except for the winter so you can put that off for later.
also lighting for your tank depends on what you have in your tank. if u plan on having plants you'll need a stronger light.

Tags
45 gallon, 5 gallon, freshwater, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com