What Do You Think ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a malawi/mbuna tank and obviously there has to be rocks. LOL. :lol: So I wanted to know if people thought that a tank with both dark rocks and white rocks could look good together. I.E. In the same tank ?

perfect to me, but everyone is different and likes their own style....but i'd go for it if i were you! :mrgreen:

Well I have LOL. The water is a bit merky as I added the tuffa rock. But it is done. I will try to post a picture a.s.a.p. I think I am going to Have about 6 Yellow Labs in it. 8)

This is my Malawi/Mbuna tank at the moment. I am going to add a bit more gravel, and of course some fish. 8) . Yellow Labs and maybe a couple of these other species that are in my local store. :) . Please tell me what really think of my tank ?

I will post another pic 2 morow once the tank has settled. 8O

If I can Yes, But I dont Know what yet .... any suggestions ?

I'd put a couple dense bunches of plants towards the back. I'd go with fake just beacuse I know that my yellow labs dig up every plant that I have.

What are they like for breeding ?

Please tell me all you know about the yellow lab cichlid as this is what I am getting and breeding Hopefully.

I.E. How do yuo know if they are breeding and would my tank be suitable for about 6 of them. Should I stick to just yellow labs in my tank If I want to breed them ?

:D

Unfortinately mine have never spawned. I had a male and female that was of breeding size but they died from ich. Right now I have four that are still quite small, and when I say small, they are about 3 inches in size. The Acei's I am actually going to attempt to breed since they are of larger size.

When you sasy the Blue ones, do you mean the Johanni's? They are very attractive when they are younger, but when they are older, they are not as pretty. We just sold our Johanni that was about 6 1/2 inches and nice size in girth. But they are very attractive fish.

I am assuming that the tank is 33 gal? At least that's what the AA calculator said. I don't know if I would put that many yellow labs into a 33 gal tank. You may want to look for a 55. Especially for breeding. And if you are wanting to add Johanni's, definately get a 55. I personally wouldn't put African cichlids in anything smaller than a 55 gal. But since you already have the tank, I'd say stick with a species only tank. Don't mix it up.

Ok, :) Yellow Labs it is. The ones I am getting are about - - In length so how long/ big do they need to be for them to start breeding / pairing off ?

I have been told that they need to be of adult size before they breed. So if you are buying juvi's, it will be quite a while before they are of breeding size. I bought juvi's just because of the price difference. Breeding adults are very expensive.

BTW- when you say - - in length, do you mean you are getting fry?

Sorry they are ------------------------------ About that long

adult labs would be about:
[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
long if your screen area is 1074X768 pixles

Don't worry about breeding them. Set up a wonderful tank and if it happens, it happens. Do all the research on those fish as you can and in no time, you will know more about them than most of us!

Back
Top Bottom