What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently recieved a 50gal (48"L x 12"W x 18"H) for my birthday. I Have a low light 55gal already, so i have decided to take the plunge into doing a highlight tank. I need some help, but I think I have it mostly figured out.
Supplies for tank:
Rena XP2 Canister
Stealth 200w heater
55gal stand
CO2 Regulator
T5 New Wave 2bulb Light strip
CO2 Reactor
I believe thats everything... what do you guys think?
My only big question is a solenoid valve. I read its an optional addition to the CO2 tanks. I have been trying to look online for articles, but I can't really find one explainning the positives and negatives about having one or not having one. Anyway what do you think about them?
What time of Substrate do you suggest? I want to get cori cats, so I need a substrate thats not too rough.
What are good fertilizers?
Anything else i should look into?

Solenoids are the ability to electronically shut off a gas/water supply.. They can be hooked up to a timer to allow the co2 to be turned off with the lights (saves buildup overnight).

You can look into Turface MVP, that is the substrate I'll be using on my 125 when I start setting it all up. Same as flurite but costs ~10$/50lb compared to fluorite or eco. it's a great price.

gregwatson.com is the ferts most recommended.

The light strip you have is what I'ld consider falsely advertising 10000 lumens, that would require 90w of T5 light. You may be better off from hellolights.com ordering a 4' 2x65w coralife fixture. IMO of course, you can also get 2 spare bulbs at 1/2 price.

what kind of bulbs does the cora lfe light strip use?

edit... nvrm they are CF right, coreect me if im wrong.

Yes, 65w CF bulbs. You may find that fixture on Ebay cheaper.. not sure, but in either case the best bang for your buck would be dual 65w CF or even 4 x 65w if you can coax LoneWolf into giving you the link he got his from. Then you have the option of increasing the light. easier to flip a switch then to add another fixutre down the road. (since you are going Co2 anyway)

If you get the 260W on a 55g, just use 1 row and not both. Use the 2nd row as a spare if a bulb goes out.

Or you can leave the actinics in the 2nd row and use them too. Up to you. If you don't use the actinics, get another set of bulbs and put them in and use as a spare.

I picked up a used one locally and it was 90$ full (10lb).. so the price over the border doesn't seem to be that big a jump. I get 10lb fill for 15$ and 5lb for 10$.

ok well i found a liqour store that sells 5lb tanks for $71 and does refills for $11 (I wonder what the ppl at the store would think of a 16 y/o girl getting CO2 intended for beer kegs is doing in their store lol). I might order my tank from beverage factory its only $50 and the shipping is only $7 bucks to where i live, plus it will be a little cheaper sense i am going to order my regulator from them. I might call them to make sure aboutthe shipping being only $7.

Back
Top Bottom