What do you think of my stocking list? (updated w/ pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
After what seems to be a horribly long time, I've finally gotten my new tank up and running. Here are the specs:

TANK:
Size: 29 gallon
Filtration: Rena XP1 Filstar Filter and Aquaclear Mini
Heater: Ebo Jager 100W Heater (I know it's a little low on the wattage...getting another one soon)
Lighting: 40W (Aqua-Glo and Flora-Glo bulbs)
Decor: Tahitian Moon Sand, lots of Mopani driftwood, to be planted this week (w/ anubias, java fern, anachris and crypts)
Cycling: 1 package Bio-Spira and two filter sponges from already established tanks

PROPOSED STOCKING LIST:
- 10 Cardinal Tetras
- 2 Blue Rams (1 male and 1 female)
- 1 baby Queen Arabesque Pleco (L260 - currently .75 inches, maxes out @ 3.5")
- 3 Zebra Loaches (Botia Striata, maxes out @ 2.5-3")

I know I'm getting a little heavy on the bioload, and I'm also a little unsure of how the loaches and rams would get along.

Any comments or suggestions for me?

TIA!

Looks like you really did your homework on your tank. IMO, I would have cories instead of loaches, but that may be a bias on my part. :D

Now, in regard to the Rams. Are you looking to breed them? Your tank specs make the perfect breeding grounds for them.

I agree with JChillin - it sounds like a great set-up and a great bio-load.

Loaches and cories are hard to decide between JChillin!!

Personally.....I would not get loaches IF you want to try and breed your blue rams.

If your not too interested in breeding them, I would pick dwarf cories (4-5) instead of loaches. JMO, I think they look cuter :lol:

Wow... talk about syncronicty... as I scrolled down and read "3 loaches", I immediately thought of corys instead! Hah... what do they say, GMTA???
Even though those are smaller loaches, I'd still say a 29gal would be small.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! That's funny that everyone mentioned the cories...that's *exactly* what I had been thinking all along, until I decided that I wanted to try something new.

I went to my LFS today and picked up three 1" zebra loaches (who are already having a blast playing in the current) and 2 1" apistogramma nijssenis in place of the rams (again, was in the mood to try something new). The nijssenis are showing some great colours and combine the features of my two favourite cichlids (Bolivian Ram's beautiful bright red 'edging' and rambunctiousness, and Blue Rams's sheen and colours)...all of the pics that I found online don't do them justice! If they happen to want to breed, I'm ready for 'em...but I think for the time being I'm going to concentrate on making sure that everyone is happy and ensuring that my very first plants don't die!

Now that I've put everyone in the tank, I'm reconsidering the cardinals...I'm kinda thinking that I like my tank 'minimalistic' right now and I'm really liking the open space. I'll see what happens I suppose...

Thanks again for all of your comments!

Nice catch! Nijssenis are purty.....Some day when I have more room I'll get some.
I took the freedom of attaching a picture, because I didn't know what they looked like until after I googled them. That way not everyone has to search :p

And good luck with the clown loaches as well!

You can keep your tank 'minimalistic' if you like! Check my signature, my tanks aren't fully stocked, but I love them with a little less. It's called spoiling your fish and giving them extra space :roll:

Attachments

• pb_apistogramma_nijsseni.jpg
    pb_apistogramma_nijsseni.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 246
Thanks, Billsgate!

Now take that picture and add in the bright blacks spots that are on blue rams...and brighten up their colours...and *then* you've got my fish! :D

And, yep, there's nothing wrong with me spoiling my fish...this tank could be taking it to a new extreme for me, considering that I spoil them way too much already :oops:

Lori, I will *definitely* be playing around with my camera this weekend!

I did some more research on the nijssenis this morning and found some pics are are pretty similar to my little guys.

This is the male:
api-nij-male.jpg

This is the female:
api-nij2.jpg

This is where I found the pics: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/apis-nij.htm

I second that...gotta have some pics! Even though you didn't follow any of the advice regarding the cories (no offense to the Great Minds Think Alike reference above), you did get some great looking fish (if there are anything like the pics provided by Thomas and your description).

Ha ha, JChillin, the "great minds" comment still works for pretty much every other tank I've ever owned! Hopefully, my other cories won't disown me for trying loaches this time around :D

Here are some tank pics. Fish pics will have to wait until I have more patience to sit around and play with my camera...right now they're all just blurry blobs!

Full tank shot:
IMGP0549.JPG

Full tank shot w/ stand (sorry 'bout the flash!):
IMGP0541.JPG

Close-up of the driftwood maze:
IMGP0557.JPG

I went back to the LFS and got two more zebra loaches yesterday, so the final population is:
- 5 zebra loaches (botia striata)
- 2 apistogramma nijsseni (which I found out is pronounced nye-ZEN-ee, in case anyone is curious)

Very nice tank!!!

I like the idea that you are keeping the tank lightly stocked!
Your fish will be grateful that they have enough space! :wink:

Very nice!
That driftwood looks like Swahala wood I recently got... nice and gnarly :D... light brown rather the traditional dark driftwood.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm quite proud of my first 'real' aquascaping attempt! :D

I managed to grab a very quick, very blurry picture of Scout, one of the nijsseni:
scout.jpg

stocking comments

I love loaches too and I've got zebras, clowns, yo yos, and the new angelicus. I'm going to trade in all but the angelicus b/c I want some cories too (Sterbais to be exact). Did you get all your decor from your lfs? It looks very good.

Back
Top Bottom