What do you think of my stocking plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I am currently fishless cycling my 36 gallon tank. My stocking plan is this:

6 Harlequin Rasaboras
5 Cory Catfish
5 Platies
1 Betta (male)

I do not want to get rid of the betta because I actually have him already. In the new tank his living conditions would be much better, even though he would not like the other fish. If he is a bully or is bullied then he would just back to his old tank.

Do you think the other fish are compatible with him? Do you have any suggestions of fish to add in/get rid of? After all, this is just a plan: I have not actually stocked it yet.

:thanks:

Thank you for your suggestion, Crazyhermitcrab (love the name, btw). However I looked on PetSmart's website about them and they say the level is intermediate. If PETSMART says the level is intermediate, then otto catfish are probably to hard for me to take care of.

I neglected to mention that this is my first tank, so basically this is a beginner's peaceful tropical community tank. Please suggest easy fish that I would have a hard time killing! Thank you!

Otos are really very easy as long as your tank is well established, because they eat biofilm. They do best in tanks at least 6 months old and with live plants.

The reason it says intermediate is becuase they need algea, you could give algea wafers. The require normal care. What are your water parameters? Ammonia? nitrite? Nitrate ?

I'm also setting up a betta comunity tank, it is also 36 gallons.
I will stock with female bettas, guppies, and tetras.

Also do not add any rasbora ot tetra until the tank is a few months old, they are very sensitive fish. Add 4 fish per week

Sounds good to me. I would bump the school up to 8 though :)

Also, no need to wait to add tetras. They really aren't that sensitive.

Often Otos will not eat wafers because they are wild caught and not accustomed to commercial foods.

Otos can be very difficult, every one I have has has died. I would bump your cory school up to 8 harlequins to 10.

Thanks for all of the replies! I think that bumping up the schools may cause me to overstock... But the only way I know how to NOT overstock would be the one in= one gal rule, but everyone knows that rule is not very reliable. Does anyone else know a rule or something to not overstock so I can check and see if the bumping up the schools would cause me to overstock?

And also, I'm using eco23's fishless cycleing guide. He suggests to add in 50% of the fish at first. That seems to me kind of... overkill. What do you guys think, as I am no where near professional?

You will be fine to bump up your school numbers adding a larger centerpiece fish will make you overstock even more. Bumping up the schools will put you at 105% stocked or so but you will be fine.

Aqqdviaor is a good guideline but its definitely not set in stone rules. I generally keep my tanks at around 130% stocked and haven't had any issues from it. As long as you keep on top of your water quality I would say up to 150% is okay but that's starting to push it a bit.

The otos are generally a really rough fish to get established in your tank. Most of them you see in stores are very unhealthy from a number of reasons. Once you manage to get a healthy school of them though they are a fairly hardy fish.

Mebbid, I love your picture/avatar. The betta's beautiful.

I don't think I'll get otos. They seem like they are to much trouble then they are worth.

According to aqadvior, I am only 81% stocked. Therefore I can stock more fish! :)
Does anyone know fish that are compatible with cory cats, harlequin rasaboras, platies, and a male betta?

Mebbid, I love your picture/avatar. The betta's beautiful.

I don't think I'll get otos. They seem like they are to much trouble then they are worth.

According to aqadvior, I am only 81% stocked. Therefore I can stock more fish! :)
Does anyone know fish that are compatible with cory cats, harlequin rasaboras, platies, and a male betta?

Thanks! :)

I would probably suggest a school of cardinal tetras to give you a nice splash of blue in your tank.

Rainbows!!!!!! They're awesome I have few did kinds. The turquoise are my fav even tho they look kinda boring in the lfs tanks. Once they get at home in ur system they color up amazingly one of mine even has an orange head to go with his almost emerald green body.

Rainbows!!!!!! They're awesome I have few did kinds. The turquoise are my fav even tho they look kinda boring in the lfs tanks. Once they get at home in ur system they color up amazingly one of mine even has an orange head to go with his almost emerald green body.

By "rainbows" do you mean Rainbow sharks, Boesemani Rainbows, or something else?

Bosemani are one type and the males are very colorful, but there are many other types as we'llImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388193799.775079.jpg.
Sorry for the blury picture but they don't exactly pose. The 2 fish on the top left are both rainbows. The darker is a turquoise (personal favs) and the orange one I'm pretty sure is a behrli rainbow I honestly forgot I've had him for over 3 years

Wow, thanks for the picture! They are really beautiful. However, after a little bit of researching I discovered they do best in a planted tank, and I don't have a planted tank. I plan to have one in the future and when I get a planted tank, I'll seriously research more and think about getting some.

I think pretty much any fish would do better in a planted tank due to the added nutrient export of the plants but as long as u have some deco for them to form territories and take shelter in they would be fine. As long as u keep up on ur wcs

Okay, I see. I will research more about them and think about it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom