What filter should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitkyaa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 46g hex tank. What type of filter should I use. Gravel, bio wheel, canister

Tank Filtration

I have a 46g hex tank. What type of filter should I use. Gravel, bio wheel, canister

Hello pit...

If you want a basic filter that's fairly inexpensive, easy to maintain, and will run just about forever, then I'd recommend a Hagen AquaClear. If you change out half the tank water every week, there's no need to get a large filter. One with a gph (gallon per hour) rating 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons is enough. For a 46 G, a filter that turns over 300 gallons of tank water per hour is plenty. An Aquaclear 70 has a gph of 300. This would be just right for your tank and the cost is about $40.00.

I've used Hagens for several years and they run fine.

B

I'd say an Aquaclear 70 or 110 would do (I'd prefer the larger one as you can't have too much filtration). Or you could do a canister, an Eheim or Fluval would work too; they're "neater" looking than HOBs too if you have a cabinet or something under the tank that's large enough to hold one.

Agree with librarygirl, i went with the Tetra EX700(up to 250ltr) but will be upgrading it soon to the EX1200. As librarygirl said, it's always better to overfilter...

Canister filters will give you room for alot of different media and as already mentioned can be kept in your cabinet out of site. I use Fluvals, the 406 model on my 55's. I've been using Fluvals for over 20 years and they have always been very reliable.

As said before aquaclears are a good option. I would shy away from a filter like an emperor 400. I have one and can't wait to get rid of it. I'll be switching it out for an aquaclear.

Back
Top Bottom