what gal tank for first tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just do like i did leave the cap of it out of the water. and this happen to a tank when i was very young. thats why my parents broke down my tank. and we went to turtles.

i check my tube and everything on my heater everyday. hopefully to catch it b4 anything goes south on my heater. if i could i would have no kind of power going into the water. water and electric dont mix for my tank but you have to with the heater.

I've never had a heater zap the fish. I had the glass break on two of them, but it never zapped them. I think that's more of a rare occurance. Kind of like being hit by lightning. It happens, but it's rare.

Mine broke for what seemed like no reason. One day I just came downstairs and looked in the tank and saw a big chunk of glass in the tank. Then about 2 or 3 months ago I was looking at the fish in the 29 and saw a big crack across the heater. I actually thought of getting heater guards, but none of the Visi-therms have cracked yet.

To throw my hat into the ring. I would not worry about a submerging a submersible heater. They are all UL rated. If they really zapped fish with any regularity they would be off the market.

As far was what do get, I would definately stay away from the packages unless they come with quality parts, or you can swap things out. I would suggest buying your tank/hood from your lfs and then order your heater, pumps, decorations, test kits, etc. online. You can save a lot of money that way. Also, a budget might help us out a bit.

as far as a budget, I really have no idea, becase im not sure whats "normal", or hi or a lot. the price that the guy gave me before was about 300 for tank filter heater and bulbs, although I can do $300 for all that I would rather not if there was a better way around it. ive been looking in the clasifides for the past three weeks to try to find a 55 or 75 tank with no luck.

I have another question for all of you though, whats the difference between rocks on the bottom and sand? whats the advants and disadvents? why would you use one or the other?

I prefer sand over gravel. I am a die hard sand lover. It can be a matter of preference but it can also depend on what types of fish you want. Eels for example really should have a sand substrate because gravel (unless it's smooth) will scrape their skin and cause disease. Cory's also prefer sand (unless the gravel is smooth) otherwise the rough gravel can scrape their underside.

I found sand easier to maintain, looks nicer, and is very natural. But it really comes down to a matter of preference.

If you find products that you want to get and give us prices, we can tell you if it's a good deal or if they are ripping you off. Most equipment is cheaper online, but you should definately get the tank local. And, sometimes the lfs will have sales and be able to get stuff cheaper for you. That's why I say, get prices and let us know.

Price comparison at www.bigalsonline.com if you want to shop online. GREAT prices and if you order on wednesday evening/Thursday you get double points for every $$.
Filter-Eheim 2217-Pricey, but you get what you pay for! OR Fluval 404-Have one and it works fine
200 watt heater should be fine - Get titanium-they won't break like glass.

so I went to the lfs today and there is a guy trying to sell his 55 gal plexi with a magnum 350 pump for $80...what do you all think? how is the magnum pump? also, what is the differeance between glass and plexi other than the material?

Back
Top Bottom