What happened to my Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Doing a fishless cycle, and my ammonia goes from ~4 to ~1 every day. I have off the chart nitrites. My Nitrates were 20ppm 3 days ago, the next day around 40. Now I have 0? Im so confused. I have done NO water changes.

Krayzie said:
Doing a fishless cycle, and my ammonia goes from ~4 to ~1 every day. I have off the chart nitrites. My Nitrates were 20ppm 3 days ago, the next day around 40. Now I have 0? Im so confused. I have done NO water changes.

Are you sure you tested correctly? When I have odd ball readings I always retest to make sure. I assume you're using a liquid test? Do you have a lot of plants?

Are you sure you tested correctly? When I have odd ball readings I always retest to make sure. I assume you're using a liquid test? Do you have a lot of plants?

I will recheck now, and yes I use the API Master Test. I only have fake plants.

When you retest the nitrates make sure you bang those bottles really good before the test. Many people have issues with this test giving wrong readings if things are mixed up well enough in the bottles before testing.

Back
Top Bottom