What hardy fish are good for a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bisonbauer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my first tank last week and I am still going through a fishless cycle. What sort of fish are good for a new tank? It is a relatively small tank at 55L so I'm obviously looking at smaller fish or invertebrates.

The advice I got on this forum and other sites was, go to your local fish store see what fish you like the look of and then research all you can on them to see if they are compatible with the size tank you have and also how hardy/easy they are for beginners to care for. Have you a heater and filter?

Cherry barbs or zebra danios are known to be hardy enough for new tanks. Although, some would argue that you should have at least 20 gallon tank for the danios, being that they're such active swimmers. So, 55L is about 14 US gallons.

The advice I got on this forum and other sites was, go to your local fish store see what fish you like the look of and then research all you can on them to see if they are compatible with the size tank you have and also how hardy/easy they are for beginners to care for. Have you a heater and filter?

Thanks. I have done all of this and as I have wanted this tank for a while I have made a list of fish. It's just because I know which of these fish are easy to care for. I wasn't too sure if that correlated to how adaptable they were directly, or because they were low maintenance.

Hi bison.

I put harlequin rasboras in my tank as I was told and read that they are quite a hardy fish. Also danios such as the leopard and zebra danios. As long as you test your parameters after it has cycled you should be ok. Just don't go for fish that require special conditions like huge tanks or heavy current flow etc.

Be sure to research the adult size of the fish of choice and stock very slowly as you don't want to upset your water parameters.

Harlequin rasbora are a very friendly community fish. They play all day in mine and a quite bold around the bigger fish. They also shoal well. if you do go for those, make sure you pick the ones with the most vibrant colour. Some of mine are quite dull.

Cherry barbs or zebra danios are known to be hardy enough for new tanks. Although, some would argue that you should have at least 20 gallon tank for the danios, being that they're such active swimmers. So, 55L is about 14 US gallons.

Ok we'll I'm English but I don't know why the units would be different. Would invertebrates possible he better with the fish like snails or shrimp to help keep the tank in decent condition while the tank is maturing or does it not really matter? As much as I research it, seems I'm getting the best answers on this forum from people with tanks.

Hi bison.

I put harlequin rasboras in my tank as I was told and read that they are quite a hardy fish. Also danios such as the leopard and zebra danios. As long as you test your parameters after it has cycled you should be ok. Just don't go for fish that require special conditions like huge tanks or heavy current flow etc.

Be sure to research the adult size of the fish of choice and stock very slowly as you don't want to upset your water parameters.

Harlequin rasbora are a very friendly community fish. They play all day in mine and a quite bold around the bigger fish. They also shoal well. if you do go for those, make sure you pick the ones with the most vibrant colour. Some of mine are quite dull.

Thank you, that was helpful. I am getting my water checked tomorrow so I will see what selection of fish they have and what is suggested.

Ok we'll I'm English but I don't know why the units would be different. Would invertebrates possible he better with the fish like snails or shrimp to help keep the tank in decent condition while the tank is maturing or does it not really matter? As much as I research it, seems I'm getting the best answers on this forum from people with tanks.

I'm not sure about snails, but I do know shrimp are generally more sensitive than fish. If you're eager to get something in your tank, go with a hardy fish, just 1 or two for now. Monitor your parameters closely with a reliable liquid test kit. In the States, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is well respected for reliable results. If ammonia spikes, just do a partial water change. You'll be cycled in no time...there's nothing wrong with fish-in cycling, when done right.

I'm not sure about snails, but I do know shrimp are generally more sensitive than fish. If you're eager to get something in your tank, go with a hardy fish, just 1 or two for now. Monitor your parameters closely with a reliable liquid test kit. In the States, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is well respected for reliable results. If ammonia spikes, just do a partial water change. You'll be cycled in no time...there's nothing wrong with fish-in cycling, when done right.

Thank you this is very useful. I will make sure to buy a tester kit tomorrow when I get my water tested as a local shop will do it free. I will try a few fish first.

It's a touchy subject but I agree. I cycled my tank with my harley's. Albeit very slowly indeed. I added 4 then waited for about 2 weeks then added another for then 2 weeks again. Then I added a couple of swordtails. Then 2 more weeks.

Ammonia never went above .25 whilst I cycled. The API test kit is well respected over here in the uk too. I have one but amazon is much cheaper than my lfs.

What are you using to cycle?

It's a touchy subject but I agree. I cycled my tank with my harley's. Albeit very slowly indeed. I added 4 then waited for about 2 weeks then added another for then 2 weeks again. Then I added a couple of swordtails. Then 2 more weeks.

Ammonia never went above .25 whilst I cycled. The API test kit is well respected over here in the uk too. I have one but amazon is much cheaper than my lfs.

What are you using to cycle?

Well tbh now I am not too sure that the advise I was given in the shop was that good. I have looked after the schools fish tank. But it was just goldfish. I bought the aquarium at a shop with a small bottle of water conditioner and was told to let it cycle for a week or so and they will test it for me. The aquarium has a filtration system built on the back and it came with a pump and thermometer. But I have since noticed a range of products for conditioning water and maintaining the water hence why I am getting it checked tomorrow to see if I was advised wrong or what Is needed. I did research and videos and tutorials used many products so I was surprised when a little bottle was sold to me.

Ok bud. You should read up on the nitrogen cycle on google. It will help you understand what is needed to make our water safe for our fish.

Don't worry we all have to learn and start somewhere :)

Ok bud. You should read up on the nitrogen cycle on google. It will help you understand what is needed to make our water safe for our fish.

Don't worry we all have to learn and start somewhere :)

Ok will do! Thanks for your help! I will be posting more questions sometime I'm sure haha.

Back
Top Bottom