What I Plan For My 10 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
What Do you Think About This 10 Gal Stock

1 Male Honey Gourami, 1 Female Honey Gourami, 4 Pygmy Cory, 4 neon tetras, and some ghost shrimp

What Do you Think About This 10 Gal Stock

I will add live plants and its for my 10 gal

10 Gal Stock

Im going to start my fishless cycle this weekend and im thinking of stocks and i came to a website where it gave me ideas for stocks. I really like this one: 1 Male Honey Gourami, 1 Female Honey Gourami, 4 Pygmy Cory, 4 neon tetras, and some ghost shrimp. Any opinions? I will have pool filter sand for the bottom and all live plants i wont be putting fake ones.

Stock Idea For 10 Gallon

Im going to start my fishless cycle this weekend and im thinking of stocks and i came to a website where it gave me ideas for stocks. I really like this one: 1 Male Honey Gourami, 1 Female Honey Gourami, 4 Pygmy Cory, 4 neon tetras, and some ghost shrimp. Any opinions? I will have pool filter sand for the bottom and all live plants i wont be putting fake ones.

Are you doing fishless cycle or fish in cycle ? If you are planning to do fish in cycle, you don't want to use those honey gouramis. They can be pretty fragile, and often do not live long even under the very best of conditions.

Shrimp of all kinds are not suited for new tanks. They need a tank that's matured for at least four to six months, before they are likely to do well. They need biofilm to be established and that takes time. You can have shrimp later on, no problem, just not at first.

Are you doing fishless cycle or fish in cycle ? If you are planning to do fish in cycle, you don't want to use those honey gouramis. They can be pretty fragile, and often do not live long even under the very best of conditions.

Shrimp of all kinds are not suited for new tanks. They need a tank that's matured for at least four to six months, before they are likely to do well. They need biofilm to be established and that takes time. You can have shrimp later on, no problem, just not at first.

Im doing fishless cycle and ok i didnt know that about the shrimp

After im done cycling my tank i plan on having a stock of 2 female honey gouramis, 5 neon tetras, and corys for the bottom and can i add a snail as well? Or too over stocked? I will have pool filter sand for the bottom and live plants and a cave for the center. I have filter, heater, etc. What do you think?

My Plan For My 10 Gal

After im done cycling my tank i plan on having a stock of 2 female honey gouramis, 5 neon tetras, and corys for the bottom and can i add a snail as well? Or too over stocked? I will have pool filter sand for the bottom and live plants and a cave for the center. I have filter, heater, etc. What do you think?

Sounds good to me. I have just about the same stocking in my 10g aside from switching the gouramis for a betta and neons for cardinals.

Sounds good to me. I have just about the same stocking in my 10g aside from switching the gouramis for a betta and neons for cardinals.

Thanks for replying i have been trying to get peoples advice/opinions for the last couple days lol but thank you cant wait to start

Just a heads up. Starting 5 threads with identical subject matter is unnecessary. Patience is key in this hobby, not just in the tanks..

I needed a response fast

What's the hurry? :cool:

Stock looks good, but that's a pretty full stock. I wouldn't add any more. Have you found a female honey gourami? I've never seen them for sale anywhere, only males. You might consider just having 1 male honey gourami, then you can add more neons and cories. Maybe 6 neons and 5 cories. They'll be happier in larger numbers - just a suggestion.

What's the hurry? :cool:

Stock looks good, but that's a pretty full stock. I wouldn't add any more. Have you found a female honey gourami? I've never seen them for sale anywhere, only males. You might consider just having 1 male honey gourami, then you can add more neons and cories. Maybe 6 neons and 5 cories. They'll be happier in larger numbers - just a suggestion.

Yeah my lfs has males and females and ok ill consider getting one gourami but its suggested to have a pair

Not sure but its a site that tells you everything about each fish. It said they can live without another but they said they will be more happy with another gourami

Sadly, not everything written on every site can be taken as the absolute truth. But based on my own experience, plus reading everything I can find on the topic, good, bad or otherwise, my opinion is that, while the dwarf gouramis are very pretty, they are not the best fish for a beginner, and not the easiest fish to keep alive and healthy.

The general quality of the stock coming from the breeding farms over the past decade or so seems to have deteriorated, and many of these fish simply don't live long. Male gouramis on their own will build a bubble nest, just like their relatives, the Betta fishes, in hopes a female might come along. In nature they do not live together, they only come together to mate, after which the male raises the babies.

They also like a quiet tank, with many floating plants, many planted plants, and no fast swimming tank mates. Very little water movement, and not too much light, which limits the sorts of plants you can grow.

IF you had a pair of these fish, and they were to mate, the male might well attack the female afterward, especially in a smaller tank, because she might eat the babies. Breeders remove the females right after the eggs are laid to prevent this.

So having a pair won't make the fish 'happier'.. and unless you intend to breed them, if you are really determined to get this fish I would only get a male. Females alone are also ok, but I would not get a pair of them, nor a pair of males, because there is a chance they may fight. In an larger tank, where they'd have space for a few separate territories, you could have a pair or more.

You can choose whatever fish you like of course. These forums are just people giving their opinions, but I if you truly care about the welfare of the fish, as it appears that you do, then I'd think twice about a pair of these particular fish.

The previous poster who suggested having a few more neons and pygmy cories was quite right, those fish all enjoy the company of their own kind and six is the usual minimum number that is recommended for them to be happy and content. You'll see more of the cories when you have more of them because they won't hide as much.

Back
Top Bottom