What is a Tank Cycle?! Please Answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a new tank and added new fish after 24 hours of adding the water. Will someone please explain to me what a tank cycle is? I don't want my fish to be harmed .

To put is simply, it's establishing the vitally important bacterial colonies that will convert fish waste (Ammonia) into less harmful Nitrates via the Nitrogen Cycle. Adding fish means your doing a fish in cycle so the link below's the way to go. Be ready for water testing and PWC's.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

If you can return the fish, consider going fish-less cycling, it'll be less stress for you and your fish.

I can't return the fish, they are baby platys and mollies. I did read that article though, I'll make sure to clean the water and do plenty of water tests! I definitely don't want all my babies to die! Thanks

A tank cycle is when all necessary bacteria is in the tank to eat waste and keep cloudy water and diseases out wait a week then put two fish in then keep adding every week

I already have baby fry in it? Can they be harmed ? I just took water out of my current 26 gallon tank and put it in my 2.5 gallon nursery tank. Can that help speed up the cycle?

There's a lot said about "cycling" an aquarium, however, I think most of us newcomers to the hobby do not understand the importance of the role that ammonia and where it comes from and how it is broken down in the aquarium. There was a recent article in TFH in October 2012 en-titled "Ammonia: The Silent Killer" that I think covered the topic very well. It explained the metabolism differences of fish and humans and a bunch of other topics related to ammonia. Worth looking up.

I already have baby fry in it? Can they be harmed ? I just took water out of my current 26 gallon tank and put it in my 2.5 gallon nursery tank. Can that help speed up the cycle?

Water would be no help. You need to add gravel or decorations. Yes, it can certainly harm the fish if not done correctly.

Ok thanks ! Ill see what I can do to fix it :)

I'd suggest reading this:

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

It is a great article that dismisses a lot of the common myths of fish-in cycling. It can be a little more work up front but you get to enjoy a tank filled with fish right from the start.

Basically, use your liquid test kit (API brand or similar) and any ammonia or nitrite reading above ~.25ppm, do a water change and retest.

Is your 26 gallon cycled? Is it new as well? If it's been running for a while it might be cycled: an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test will confirm (if cycled, the tank should read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite with some nitrates). If it is you can pull a small amount of media from your filter and put it into the nursery tank's filter (for fry you probably won't need much); if you cant remove any filter media you can try adding some gravel to the filter of the nursery tank or near the intake pipe of the filter, that should help some at least. But either way just keep testing and doing water changes as needed.

Yeah, I've had my 26 gallon for over 2 years so I pretty sure it's cycled. And alright I'll try adding a few pieces of gravel from the 26 and put it in the 2.5 and see if that works. My ammonia was 0 and nitrite was 0 but my nitrate was 40? Is that bad? The test kit said it was tolerable

There's some debate on how nitrates can go before fish are bothered by them; it probably depends on many factors, particularly types of fish. 40 is about borderline; I'd get it lower. Try to aim to keep it under 20, unless your tap water has high nitrates. If it does you can do some things to reduce the nitrates though. If it doesn't, then you're likely either overfeeding, undercleaning and/or overstocked (or not doing enough water changes).

Back
Top Bottom