What is cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megladonsharky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay stop the laughter ... I only have bettas and white clouds .. What do I need to do to cycle a ten gallon and what should go in later...
Thank you

All you need to do is buy some test kits and do lots of water changes. For the test kits get: Ammonia, NitrIte, and NitrAte.

I wouldn't add anything else to the tank.

Is this a new 10-gal you are setting up from scratch, or are you having trouble with the cycle using a betta and white clouds?

I won't bombard you with links on the nitrogen cycle just yet, so clarification will help, but there is tons on the web pertaining to cycling a tank, and you can also check here in our Articles section. Good luck!

It is a new one .. currently the "kids" reside in a 3-4 gallon kritter keeper ..
I am just wanting to make sure I do this 10 gallon right

Okey dokey. Let's start with your "classic" article on fishless cycling that everyone should know by heart: http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

I'd encourage you to go fishless if possible, because it can be very hard on the fish to endure it. If there is some gravel or filter media you can "rob" from your small tank that will help seed the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom