Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Your nitrates should have only dropped by 30% at most. The most likely cause for the 0 reading is a mistake in performing the nitrate test. This is usually the cause of a 0 reading 99% of the time during a cycle.
Elaborate? Lol sorry if its obvious, but I don't quite get doing a mistake in performing the nitrate test..are you saying that I did something wrong while testing for nitrates? Or...I feel dumb, please bare with me haha.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
As nitrites go down, nitrates should go up as that is what the nitrites are getting converted to. If they are not going up then something is wrong with your cycle and when the cycle is complete you will know by the nitrate reading. So yes you were right. Ammonia created by fish waste gets converted to nitrites... Nitrites get converted to nitrates. You do water changes to get rid of the nitrates. After your cycle is complete do 50% water changes when your nitrates hit 20ppm. That's the easiest way to maintain water.
Thanks for that! For now ill just test all 3, just to have an idea of what's going on.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Make sure when doing the nitrates test you shake the heck outta bottle 2 if its the API kit. Shake it for a minute or 2 and bump it a few times on something to make sure it's mixed good. It has suspended particles that are know for settling to the bottom and sticking there. Add the drops from bottle 1 to the tube of water, give a quick mix, add the drops from bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute then let it sit for 5 mins and check color against chart
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
Make sure when doing the nitrates test you shake the heck outta bottle 2 if its the API kit. Shake it for a minute or 2 and bump it a few times on something to make sure it's mixed good. It has suspended particles that are know for settling to the bottom and sticking there. Add the drops from bottle 1 to the tube of water, give a quick mix, add the drops from bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute then let it sit for 5 mins and check color against chart
Yeah, I use that API test kit. Thanks! Ill be sure to shake it well, LOL. Hopefully that will get my readings back in check. I seriously hope it's just the test and not a problem with the cycle. Will keep this thread updated when I test tomorrow morning.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Might try testing tap if you haven't already. It can give you a point of reference. Also, should contain some nitrates as well.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbush View Post
Might try testing tap if you haven't already. It can give you a point of reference. Also, should contain some nitrates as well.
This is true, especially if your on city water. They're allowed to feed you so much of everything. Also your city should have posted on their website what the water specs are for what areas. I'm on a well and have 0 for all parameters.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbush View Post
I did test tap, but only for pH and ammonia. No ammonia. I'll update this when I get nitrites and nitrates tested.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

I did test tap, but only for pH and ammonia. No ammonia. I'll update this when I get nitrites and nitrates tested.
Today's readings are as follows:

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate.

Does this mean?....
I'm kinda skeptical because its only been 2 weeks and a day, and nitrates are low. Does cycling go that fast? I've never put or bought anything with live bacteria in it.
As for my tap, it's 0,0 and somewhere in between 0 and 5ppm for nitrates.

The picture shows nitrates, nitrites and ammonia in order lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3300178454.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	187511  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com