Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is the best fish tank kit 10 gallons+ for a beginner, for the best price?

I want a new fish tank. What is the best deal or brand?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beat thing ia to buy the stuff individually. Kit come with average at best equipment.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will it be more expensive?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

More expensive that just the basic walmart/petsmart/petco kit, yes, but you get what you pay for (at least that's what sales reps have always told me : P) Really you're best bet is to keep an eye on craigslist, that's where I've gotten a few of my tanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could do the things from Walmart. I have had many of them for over a year and the filters are still running beautifully. No issues with anything, but you do have to get heater separate ($10-15). I would highly recommend them if you aren't too picky; like me! I don't know anything about the other stores' kits.

It would be much more expensive to buy it all separately, but if you want top of the line stuff then you will have to pay the extra for separate components.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

To find out if the hobby is for you those kits are fine however if you already like the hobby you will find the kits are a bad buy in the long run since you will upgrade just about everything before it is all over with. You don't have to go with top of the line stuff just reliable stuff. What type of fish are you wanting and what are your plans for your tank?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where are you located? If you happen to be in my area I'd be happy to give you some of my old equipment. I get most of my "Starter kits" from Craigslist. People usually keep the tank for a few months and then sell them!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

IMHO kits are just junk. Run to Petco and buy the largest tank you can afford at the $1 gallon sale (love the 40b's). Then start looking into separate components. If you get a kit and become serious you are just going to replace everything anyway. Go slow and get an itemized list.
If you have an independent local fish store (LFS) go and see if they can help you. Come to this forum and ask questions! See if there is a local forum that you can get into do so. Establishing friends in person or through forums will help you keep your stoke.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha
Where are you located? If you happen to be in my area I'd be happy to give you some of my old equipment. I get most of my "Starter kits" from Craigslist. People usually keep the tank for a few months and then sell them!
What kind of stuff do you have? I'm in Stillwater, MN
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

check local fish stores or walmart. based off your post it will probably be your best bet. lots of tanks like these on ebay and such as well.
it MAY be cheaper to buy a small used tank off craigslist or ebay and build it yourself.
IE i have 2 7.5 gal tanks total cost was like 100$ each. i also have a 122 gal tank i built. Filter lights heater i spent 120$. aquariums never end up cheap. once you have the tank you start spending money. various chemicals to make the water habitable, fish substrate decor and test kits. before you decided to buy something make sure it is truely what u want. a 10 gal tank cant hold much in the way of fish. Before jumping into something decide what you really want and go from there.
All 3 tanks were a total of 330$ approx. but since then ive spent around 250$ in hoses and connectors, Co2 (home made) test kit, chemicals and decor and little fish and plants.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always try to buy stuff when they are on sale. I got my 20 long Aqueon brand (tank only) from petco for $22 and it's original price is like $33.
Well that's my idea if ur planning to buy ur tank locally.
i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Like everyone else has said before, piece buying is probably your best bet. I got a 10 gallon kit this past October and have replace the air stone and the lid already and probably will replace the job filter within the next 6 months. Just remember to research things before you purchase them. Other peoples experiences are key in finding good stuff.

65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Iodizedfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, beginner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com